SPORANOX ORAL SOLUTION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Itraconazole 10mg/mL; cherry-caramel flavor.
Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for SPORANOX ORAL SOLUTION:
Oropharyngeal and esophageal candidiasis (not recommended for initiation of treatment if immediate risk of systemic candidiasis).
Take on empty stomach. Swish and swallow 10mL at a time. Oropharyngeal: 200mg daily for 1–2 weeks; fluconazole-resistant: 100mg twice daily. Esophageal: 100–200mg daily. Treat for at least 3 weeks, continue 2 weeks after symptoms resolve.
Not established. Doses of 5mg/kg per day for 2 weeks have been used; see full labeling.
CHF. Concomitant methadone, disopyramide, dofetilide, dronedarone, cisapride, pimozide, nisoldipine, quinidine, triazolam, ergots, irinotecan, ivabradine, lurasidone, ranolazine, eplerenone, felodipine, lovastatin, simvastatin, oral midazolam, ticagrelor; and colchicine, fesoterodine, telithromycin, solifenacin (if renal/hepatic impairment). Do not use for onychomycosis if pregnant or contemplating pregnancy.
Use appropriate formulation; caps and soln are not interchangeable. Confirm diagnosis of onychomycosis with nail specimen. Renal impairment. Monitor for signs/symptoms of liver dysfunction; discontinue and perform LFTs if develop. Ventricular dysfunction. CHF risk (eg, valvular disease, COPD, renal disease). Discontinue if CHF or neuropathy occurs. Achlorhydria (reduced bioavailability from capsules). Cystic fibrosis patients: switch to alternative therapy if no response. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C): use appropriate contraception during and for 2 months after therapy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications. Serious cardiac effects with cisapride, pimozide, methadone, quinidine, others. Potentiates triazolam, midazolam, diazepam, alprazolam, cyclosporine, tacrolimus, sirolimus, carbamazepine, digoxin, rifabutin, anticoagulants and coumarin-type drugs, HIV protease inhibitors (eg, ritonavir, indinavir, saquinavir), dihydropyridine calcium channel blockers, verapamil, atorvastatin, cerivastatin, glucocorticoids (eg, budesonide, dexamethasone, methylprednisolone), vinca alkaloids, docetaxel, busulfan, others metabolized by CYP3A4 (eg, halofantrine, alfentanil, buspirone, cilostazole, eletriptan, fluticasone, trimetrexate, fentanyl), dabigatran, oxycodone, repaglinide, saxagliptin, others. Potentiated by clarithromycin, erythromycin, ciprofloxacin, indinavir, ritonavir, others that inhibit CYP3A4; monitor closely. Monitor cyclosporine, tacrolimus, phenytoin, digoxin, warfarin, vinca alkaloids, non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors. Concomitant tamsulosin, apixaban, rivaroxaban, carbamazepine, dasatinib, nilotinib, aliskiren, everolimus, temsirolimus, salmeterol, sildenafil (for PAH), vardenafil, simeprevir, darifenacin, colchicine, conivaptan, tolvaptan: not recommended. Severe hypoglycemia with oral hypoglycemics; monitor glucose. Antagonizes meloxicam; adjust dose if necessary. Antagonized by phenytoin, phenobarbital, carbamazepine, rifabutin, rifampicin, isoniazid, efavirenz, nevirapine, other CYP3A4 inducers; avoid for 2 weeks before and during itraconazole therapy. May inhibit trimetrexate metabolism. May alter fentanyl plasma levels: fatal respiratory depression possible. Tinnitus or hearing impairment with quinidine. May inhibit polyene antifungals. Calcium channel blockers increase risk of edema; consider dose adjustment. Capsules: antagonized by gastric acid suppressants (eg, H2 blockers, proton pump inhibitors). Take at least 1hr before or 2hrs after antacids.
Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, edema, rash, fatigue, fever, headache, dizziness, hepatotoxicity, liver failure, CHF, hypokalemia, hearing loss.
Caps—30; Caps PulsePak—28; Oral soln—150mL
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder