SPIRIVA RESPIMAT Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Tiotropium (as bromide monohydrate) 1.25mcg, 2.5mcg; per actuation; inh spray; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals
Indications for SPIRIVA RESPIMAT:
Long-term maintenance treatment of bronchospasm due to COPD, including chronic bronchitis and emphysema. To reduce exacerbations of COPD. Long-term maintenance treatment of asthma in patients ≥6yrs of age.
COPD: 2 inh of Spiriva Respimat 2.5mcg/actuation (5mcg) once daily. Asthma: 2 inh of Spiriva Respimat 1.25mcg/actuation (2.5mcg) once daily; may take up to 4–8 weeks for max benefits. Max: 2 inh/24hrs.
Asthma: <6yrs: not established. ≥6yrs: 2 inh of Spiriva Respimat 1.25mcg/actuation (2.5mcg) once daily; may take up to 4–8 weeks for max benefits. Max: 2 inh/24hrs.
Allergy to ipratropium.
Not for the relief of acute symptoms. Discontinue if immediate hypersensitivity reactions (eg, angioedema) or paradoxical bronchospasm occurs; consider alternative therapy. Monitor for signs/symptoms of worsening narrow-angle glaucoma or worsening urinary retention (esp. GI or GU obstruction). Moderate-to-severe renal impairment; monitor for anticholinergic effects. Allergy to atropine or its derivatives; monitor. HandiHaler: avoid getting powder into eyes; or allergy to milk proteins. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Avoid other anticholinergics.
Upper respiratory tract infection, dry mouth, sinusitis, pharyngitis, bronchitis, cough, headache, non-specific chest pain, UTI, dyspepsia, rhinitis, other anticholinergic effects (eg, urinary retention, constipation, dysuria, tachycardia, blurred vision, glaucoma); paradoxical bronchospasm.
HandiHaler (caps w. inh device)—5, 30, 90; Respimat (cartridge w. inh device)—4g (60 inh)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age