Generic Name and Formulations:
Zaleplon 5mg, 10mg; caps; contains tartrazine.
Indications for SONATA:
Short-term treatment of insomnia.
Usually 10mg at bedtime (at least 4hrs before becoming active again); max 20mg. Mild-to-moderate hepatic impairment, elderly, debilitated, concomitant cimetidine, or low weight patients: 5mg; max 10mg. Max 1month/℞. Effect delayed if taken with high-fat/heavy meals.
Severe hepatic impairment: not recommended. Compromised respiratory function, mild-to-moderate hepatic impairment, debilitated: monitor closely. Depression. Behavioral changes. Suicidal tendencies. Drug or alcohol abuse. Conditions that affect metabolism or hemodynamic response. Write ℞ for smallest practical amount. Elderly. Debilitated. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiates CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Efficacy may be compromised by drug(s) that induce CYP3A4. May be potentiated by drugs that inhibit aldehyde oxidase (eg, cimetidine, possibly diphenhydramine). May be antagonized by promethazine.
CNS effects, complex sleep-related behaviors (eg, sleep-driving), GI upset, abdominal pain, migraine; anaphylaxis, angioedema, others (see full labeling).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders