Generic Name and Formulations:
Pegvisomant 10mg, 15mg, 20mg; per vial; lyophilized pwd for SC inj after reconstitution; contains mannitol.
Indications for SOMAVERT:
Treatment of acromegaly when response to surgery and/or radiation therapy and/or other medical therapies is inadequate or inappropriate.
Inject SC into thigh, buttocks, upper arm, or abdomen; rotate site. Loading dose: 40mg once. Maintenance therapy: 10mg daily; may adjust dose in increments/decrements of 5mg every 4–6 weeks based on IGF-1 levels; max 30mg per day.
Monitor tumor growth, IGF-1 levels, and for the development of GH deficiency. Obtain baseline ALT, AST, TBIL, ALP; if normal, monitor liver function monthly for first 6 months, then quarterly for next 6 months, then biannually for the next year; if elevated but ≤3xULN, monitor monthly for ≥1yr, then biannually for the next year; if ≥3xULN, do not treat until cause of liver dysfunction determined. Liver dysfunction during therapy: if ≥3xULN but <5xULN, monitor liver function weekly; if ≥5xULN, or transaminase elevations ≥3xULN associated with increase in TBIL, discontinue immediately, consider reinitiation if liver function normalizes with frequent monitoring; if liver injury occurs, discontinue therapy. Diabetes. Monitor closely and use caution if re-initiating therapy after systemic hypersensitivity reaction. Latex allergy. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
May need to reduce dose of insulin, other antidiabetic agents. Antagonized by opioids. May cause falsely elevated GH assays.
Growth hormone (GH) receptor antagonist.
Infection, pain, diarrhea, nausea, elevated LFTs, flu syndrome, lipohypertrophy, functional GH deficiency; systemic hypersensitivity (eg, anaphylaxis, laryngospasm, angioedema, skin reactions).
Single-dose vial—1 (w. diluent)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed