Social anxiety disorder (SAD), also known as social phobia, is highly prevalent and is associated with a significant functional impairment.
After receiving a dose of testosterone, participants with social anxiety disorder were less likely to avoid eye contact.
Undergraduate students with social anxiety who engaged in acts of kindness had the largest drop in the desire to avoid social interactions.
Brain scans found those with social anxiety produced an abundance of the neurotransmitter serotonin in the amygdala.
People who consumed a lot of fermented foods had fewer symptoms of social anxiety in those with high neuroticism.
When kids with autism started playing with guinea pigs, their skin conductance, a measure of anxiety, started to decline.
Attention training teaches patients how to shift their focus away from unhelpful thoughts and feelings.
Internet and gaming addiction is a serious issue for many children and teens and has been linked to ADHD, social anxiety and depression.
Encouraging patients to overcome small challenges little by little can add up to significant progress in the long run.
Patients with atypical depression more likely to have earlier onset of social anxiety disorder than those with standard depression.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Link Identified Between Cured Meat and Mania in Bipolar Disorder
- Suicide Attempts Associated With Sleep and Circadian Rhythm Disturbances in Bipolar Disorder
- First-Episode Delusional Disorder vs Schizophrenia: Assessment of Outcomes
- Early Risk Factors for Bipolar Disorder Found in Offspring of BD Parents
- Probiotics, Depression, and the Role of Inflammation
- The Opioid System: The Foundation for Social Risk and Reward
- Correctional Psychiatry: Challenges and Rewards
- Those Left Behind: Working With Suicide-Bereaved Families
- The Impact of Deafness on Hallucinations and Delusions
- Is Mandatory Reporting of Child Maltreatment in the Best Interests of the Child?
- Nutrition Tips for Physicians: Staying Healthy During Busy Days
- Mental Health Problems in Adolescents With HIV: Overview & Expert Interview
- Should Physicians Play a Role in Minimizing the Societal Cost of Medical Care?
- Digital Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Effective for Individuals With Insomnia
- How Do Medical Scribes Reduce EHR Documentation Burden for Physicians?