Social anxiety disorder (SAD), also known as social phobia, is highly prevalent and is associated with a significant functional impairment.
After receiving a dose of testosterone, participants with social anxiety disorder were less likely to avoid eye contact.
Undergraduate students with social anxiety who engaged in acts of kindness had the largest drop in the desire to avoid social interactions.
Brain scans found those with social anxiety produced an abundance of the neurotransmitter serotonin in the amygdala.
People who consumed a lot of fermented foods had fewer symptoms of social anxiety in those with high neuroticism.
When kids with autism started playing with guinea pigs, their skin conductance, a measure of anxiety, started to decline.
Attention training teaches patients how to shift their focus away from unhelpful thoughts and feelings.
Internet and gaming addiction is a serious issue for many children and teens and has been linked to ADHD, social anxiety and depression.
Encouraging patients to overcome small challenges little by little can add up to significant progress in the long run.
Patients with atypical depression more likely to have earlier onset of social anxiety disorder than those with standard depression.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder