Social Anxiety Disorder
Cognitive therapy is a more effective treatment for social anxiety disorder than paroxetine alone and than pill placebo.
Social anxiety disorder (SAD), also known as social phobia, is highly prevalent and is associated with a significant functional impairment.
After receiving a dose of testosterone, participants with social anxiety disorder were less likely to avoid eye contact.
Undergraduate students with social anxiety who engaged in acts of kindness had the largest drop in the desire to avoid social interactions.
Brain scans found those with social anxiety produced an abundance of the neurotransmitter serotonin in the amygdala.
People who consumed a lot of fermented foods had fewer symptoms of social anxiety in those with high neuroticism.
When kids with autism started playing with guinea pigs, their skin conductance, a measure of anxiety, started to decline.
Attention training teaches patients how to shift their focus away from unhelpful thoughts and feelings.
Internet and gaming addiction is a serious issue for many children and teens and has been linked to ADHD, social anxiety and depression.
Encouraging patients to overcome small challenges little by little can add up to significant progress in the long run.
Patients with atypical depression more likely to have earlier onset of social anxiety disorder than those with standard depression.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Impulsivity in Bipolar Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, ADHD
- The Challenges of Identifying Biomarkers of Psychiatric Illness
- Psychotropic Medication May Reduce Symptoms and Improve Functioning in PTSD
- Oral Therapy for Suicidal Bipolar Depression Gets Breakthrough Designation
- FDA Approves Powerful New Opioid Despite Criticisms
- Cannabis Use in Adolescence Associated With Poorer Mental Health Outcomes
- Updates in Borderline Personality Disorder: Your Questions Answered
- Violent Video Games Tied to Physical Aggression
- Shame Drives Suicidal Ideation Among Veterans With PTSD
- Long-term Healthy Diet Associated With Greater Hippocampal Volumes
- Multisector Goal Alignment May Curb Medicare Expenditures
- Testosterone Treatment Reduces Symptoms of Depression in Men
- Patterns of Non-Medical Prescription Opioid Use in Adolescents
- Technological Breakthroughs in Medicine Move Physician-Patient Interactions From The Computer Screen Back to the Exam Room
- Online Tool Helps Patients With Advance Care Planning