On the basis of these findings, researchers recommended that "[f]atigue should be evaluated whenever there is clinical suspicion of overlap syndrome."
Obstructive sleep apnea is associated with changes to the structure of the brain that are seen in the early stages of dementia.
Longer sleep duration and higher sleep efficiency are associated with a more favorable cardiometabolic profile in early adolescence.
Acute insomnia is common among good sleepers, and about three-quarters of those with AI recover good sleep.
The "Ambien Defense" has been used in multiple instances of high-profile bad behavior. But does the excuse hold up?
Successful CPAP use for obstructive sleep apnea may be associated with improved sexual quality of life.
The relationship between pain and cognitive dysfunction was explained by sleep disturbance and depressive symptoms.
A high risk for OSA is common among older adults but is seldom investigated, though when it is investigated, it is almost always confirmed.
Despite the widespread use of antidepressants for treating insomnia, the evidence for their effectiveness remains limited.
This study had a sample size large enough to assess the effect of circadian disruption on mental health disorders, and was the first to objectively measure patterns of rest and activity (using accelerometers).
The presence of sleep disorders in children with chronic pain may result in greater pain levels and pain interference, a relationship that may in part be mediated by anxiety and depressive symptoms.
Information on characteristics and duration of particular insomnia types.
These findings may be helpful in developing treatment strategies for patients with past trauma and sleep disturbances to attenuate the possibility of future psychosis-like experiences.
Risk factors for poor sleep in menopause include depression and vasomotor symptoms.
For pediatric patients with chronic pain, PTSD symptoms may be linked with higher levels of pain intensity.
Sleep bruxism may be improved with onabotulinum toxin-A injections.
Wearing amber lenses rather than clear lenses for 2 hours before bedtime was associated with improved sleep for individuals with insomnia symptoms.
Disrupted sleep is linked to an increase in amyloid-β production in adults.
A growing body of research consistently shows that patients with schizophrenia often suffer from sleep disturbances.
Home sleep apnea tests are used to help diagnose obstructive sleep apnea in adults.
In pediatric patients, poor sleep quality partially mediates PTSS and chronic pain relationships.
The FDA has approved the Remede sleep system.
To date, it has not been clearly established whether sleep problems are a consequence of or a contributory factor to mental health disorders.
Digital CBT is associated with reductions in insomnia, for university students.
There is a greater risk in older adults with SDB for developing cognitive impairment.
For patients undergoing chemotherapy, participating in a Tibetan yoga program may result in short-term sleep quality benefits.
Impaired sleep and obesity may be caused by stress.
There is an established link between excessive daytime sleepiness and headache frequency.
Sedative-hypnotic medications daily dose threshold chart.
Patients with sleep apnea are more likely to use their CPAP after watching a video of themselves struggling to breathe.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Healthcare Community Should Favor More Restrictive Alcohol Policies
- How to Respond to a Patient's Request for Prayer: A Clinician's Dilemma
- Major Barriers to Useful Risk Prediction Must Be Overcome to Reach the Full Potential of Big Data
- ACA Coverage Gains Include Workers Without Insurance
- Steps Provided for Discharging Patients From Practice