Generic Name and Formulations:
Tiludronate disodium 240mg (equivalent to tiludronate acid 200mg); tabs.
Indications for SKELID:
Treatment of Paget's disease of bone (osteitis deformans) in patients (1) who have a level of serum alkaline phosphatase at least twice the upper limit of normal, or (2) who are symptomatic, or (3) who are at risk for future complications of their disease.
Take with 6–8oz of plain water on an empty stomach. 400mg once daily for 3 months. Do not lie down for at least 30 minutes.
Inability to stand or sit upright for at least 30 minutes.
Active upper GI disease; discontinue and reevaluate if signs/symptoms of esophageal reaction occur. Severe renal impairment (CrCl <30mL/min): not recommended. Ensure adequate Vit. D and calcium intake. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Calcium, aluminum, magnesium, other divalent cations reduce absorption (separate dosing by at least 2hrs). Caution with aspirin, NSAIDs, other GI irritants. Potentiated by indomethacin, separate dosing by 2hrs.
GI upset; musculoskeletal pain (may be severe), esophagitis; esophageal ulcer, stricture, or erosion, jaw osteonecrosis; rarely: gastric or duodenal ulcer.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder Associated With ADHD and Female Gender
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Symptom Trajectories Vary According to Language Development in Autism
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children