Generic Name and Formulations:
Tiludronate disodium 240mg (equivalent to tiludronate acid 200mg); tabs.
Indications for SKELID:
Treatment of Paget's disease of bone (osteitis deformans) in patients (1) who have a level of serum alkaline phosphatase at least twice the upper limit of normal, or (2) who are symptomatic, or (3) who are at risk for future complications of their disease.
Take with 6–8oz of plain water on an empty stomach. 400mg once daily for 3 months. Do not lie down for at least 30 minutes.
Inability to stand or sit upright for at least 30 minutes.
Active upper GI disease; discontinue and reevaluate if signs/symptoms of esophageal reaction occur. Severe renal impairment (CrCl <30mL/min): not recommended. Ensure adequate Vit. D and calcium intake. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Calcium, aluminum, magnesium, other divalent cations reduce absorption (separate dosing by at least 2hrs). Caution with aspirin, NSAIDs, other GI irritants. Potentiated by indomethacin, separate dosing by 2hrs.
GI upset; musculoskeletal pain (may be severe), esophagitis; esophageal ulcer, stricture, or erosion, jaw osteonecrosis; rarely: gastric or duodenal ulcer.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed