Generic Name and Formulations:
Metaxalone 800mg; scored tabs.
King Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for SKELAXIN:
As adjunct treatment for acute, painful musculoskeletal conditions.
800mg 3–4 times daily.
≤12yrs: not established.
Anemias. Significant renal or hepatic dysfunction.
Renal or hepatic impairment (monitor LFTs). Elderly. Pregnancy, nursing mothers: not recommended.
Muscle relaxant (central).
Increased risk of sedation, respiratory depression with concomitant other CNS depressants (eg, alcohol, benzodiazepines, opioids, TCAs); monitor closely. Risk of serotonin syndrome with serotonergic drugs (eg, SSRIs, SNRIs, TCAs, triptans, 5-HT3 antagonists, opioids, mirtazapine, trazodone, tramadol, MAOIs, linezolid, IV methylene blue); monitor and discontinue if suspected. Concomitant with food may enhance CNS depression. May cause false (+) Benedict's test.
Drowsiness, dizziness, headache, nervousness, GI upset, rash, jaundice, hemolytic anemia, leukopenia; hypersensitivity reactions.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age