SINEMET CR Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Carbidopa, levodopa; 25-100, 50-200; sust rel tabs.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for SINEMET CR:
≥18yrs: Do not crush or chew. Patients not receiving levodopa: initially one Sinemet CR 50–200 tab twice daily, at intervals of at least 6 hrs. Others: see literature. Allow 3 days between dosage adjustments. If given at intervals <4 hrs and/or divided doses not equal: give smaller doses at end of day. May add immediate-release Sinemet 25–100 or 10–100 in advanced disease.
<18yrs: not recommended.
During or within 14 days of nonselective MAOIs (eg, phenelzine). Narrow-angle glaucoma. Undiagnosed skin lesions. History of melanoma.
Severe cardiovascular or pulmonary disease. Asthma. Renal, hepatic, or endocrine disorders. History of peptic ulcer or MI with residual arrhythmias. Suicidal tendencies. Psychosis. Orthostatic hypotension. Chronic wide-angle glaucoma. Discontinue levodopa at least 12 hrs before starting Sinemet or Sinemet CR. Sinemet CR not bioequivalent to Sinemet; see literature when switching forms. Monitor renal and liver function, intraocular pressure, blood counts. May stain body fluids. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Orthostatic hypotension with selegiline, antihypertensives. Antagonized by phenothiazines, butyrophenones, risperidone, phenytoin, papaverine. Hypertension, dyskinesia with tricyclic antidepressants. May be antagonized by iron, high protein diets. May cause false (+) urinary ketone test or false (–) urinary glucose (glucose oxidase) test.
Dopa-decarboxylase inhibitor + dopamine precursor.
Dyskinesia, GI upset, hallucinations, confusion, psychological disturbances, depression, dizziness, headache, dream abnormalities, dystonia, cardiac arrhythmias, hypotension, dyspnea, on-off phenomenon, back pain, blepharospasm (may indicate excess dosage), hypertension, anticholinergic effects, anorexia, insomnia, leukopenia, renal and liver function disorders, seizures, neuroleptic malignant syndrome.
CR—100, 500; Tabs—100
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders