Generic Name and Formulations:
Brinzolamide 1%, brimonidine tartrate 0.2%; oph susp; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Alcon Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for SIMBRINZA:
Reduction of elevated intraocular pressure in open-angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension.
Adults and Children:
<2yrs: contraindicated. ≥2yrs: 1 drop three times daily.
Neonates and infants <2yrs.
Sulfonamide allergy. Discontinue if serious systemic or hypersensitivity reactions occur. Increased risk of corneal edema in patients with low endothelium cell counts. Severe renal impairment (CrCl <30mL/min): not recommended. Hepatic impairment. Severe cardiovascular disease. Depression. Cerebral or coronary insufficiency. Raynaud’s phenomenon. Orthostatic hypotension. Thromboangitis obliterans. Acute angle-closure glaucoma. Remove soft contact lenses before use; may reinsert 15mins later. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Carbonic anhydrase inhibitor + alpha-2 agonist.
Concomitant oral carbonic anhydrase inhibitors: not recommended. Caution with antihypertensives, cardiac glycosides, tricyclic antidepressants, MAOIs. Concomitant high-dose salicylate may produce acid-base and electrolyte alterations. May be potentiated by CNS depressants (eg, alcohol, opiates, barbiturates, sedatives, anesthetics). Separate administration of other oph drugs by ≥5 minutes.
Blurred vision, eye irritation, dysgeusia, dry mouth, eye allergy.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age