Generic Name and Formulations:
Doxepin (as HCl) 3mg, 6mg; tabs.
Indications for SILENOR:
Treatment of insomnia characterized by difficulty with sleep maintenance.
Individualize. Take within 30mins of bedtime. Do not take within 3 hours of a meal. Initially 6mg once daily. Max: 6mg/day. Elderly, hepatic impairment, tendency to urinary retention: initially 3mg once daily.
During or within 14 days of MAOIs. Untreated narrow angle glaucoma. Severe urinary retention.
Evaluate for co-morbid diagnoses (eg, physical or psychiatric disorders) prior to treatment. Reevaluate if insomnia persists after 7–10 days of use. Monitor for new onset behavioral changes, worsening of depression, or suicidal thinking. Hepatic impairment. Respiratory dysfunction. Severe sleep apnea: not recommended. Poor metabolizers (those with reduced CYP2D6/2C19 activity). Reevaluate periodically. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Additive effects with concomitant CNS depressants, antihistamines, or alcohol (avoid); reduce dose. Potentiated by cimetidine. Possible hypoglycemia with tolazamide.
H1 receptor antagonist.
Somnolence, sedation, nausea, upper respiratory tract infection, dizziness, photosensitivity, skin rash; abnormal thinking, behavioral changes, complex behaviors, sleep-driving (discontinue if occurs), amnesia, anxiety, other neuro-psychiatric symptoms.
Tabs—30, 100, 500
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Sleep Apnea Implant Device Receives FDA Approval
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Dysfunction a Sign of Prodromal Parkinson Disease
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Bipolar Depression Benefits From Midday Bright Light Therapy