Generic Name and Formulations:
Cycloserine 250mg; caps.
Lilly, Eli and Company
Indications for SEROMYCIN:
In conjunction with other chemotherapy, for the treatment of active pulmonary and extrapulmonary tuberculosis (including renal disease) when the causative organisms are susceptible and when treatment with primary drugs (streptomycin, isoniazid, rifampin, ethambutol) has proved inadequate.
Initially 250mg twice daily at 12-hour intervals for the first 2 weeks. Usual dose: 500mg–1g daily in divided doses monitored by blood levels. Max 1g/day.
Epilepsy. Depression. Severe anxiety. Psychosis. Severe renal insufficiency. Excessive concurrent use of alcohol.
Discontinue or reduce dose if allergic dermatitis or CNS toxicity develops. Ratio of toxic dose to effective dose is small. Monitor blood levels, hematologic, renal, and liver function. Obtain weekly blood levels in patients with reduced renal function, patients receiving >500mg daily dosage, or those showing signs/symptoms suggestive of toxicity. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Neurotoxic effects with concomitant ethionamide. Increased risk of epileptic episodes with alcohol. Increased CNS effects with concomitant isoniazid; monitor closely.
CNS effects (eg, convulsions, drowsiness, somnolence, headache, tremor, dysarthria, vertigo, confusion, psychoses, character changes, hyperirritability, aggression, paresis, hyperreflexia, paresthesia, seizures, coma), CHF, allergy, rash, elevated serum transaminase (esp. with preexisting liver disease), anemia (monitor).
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Enhanced Vaccination Effectiveness in Older Adults Linked to Positive Mood
- Subjective Cognitive Decline Linked to Alzheimer Biomarker
- Unnecessary Costs Associated With Low-Cost, Low-Value Health Services
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?