Investigators selected 15 genes associated with schizophrenia due to high expression in both brain tissue and B-lymphocyte cells.
There has been a question of whether antipsychotic medications are truly acting upon "primary" negative symptoms, or whether they are instead improving "secondary" negative symptoms via improvement in positive or depressive symptoms.
Although all-cause pharmacy costs were higher in the paliperidone palmitate group, adjusted all-cause medical costs were lower.
Use of virtual reality environments in which participants interact with computer-controlled situations or avatars enables a more fine-tuned approach to exposure in the context of cognitive behavioral therapy.
A combination of an SSRI and antipsychotics in a clinical setting most likely does not lead to a further deterioration of metabolic variables to a clinically significant degree.
Investigators seek the association between psychosis and complication risk after total joint arthroplasty.
P50 processing may inform researchers in the future development of interventions targeting cognitive impairment in schizophrenia.
All patients with a substance-induced psychosis should be offered follow-up.
This research suggests that interventions to improve cognitive insight may bolster neurocognition in schizophrenia.
Twelve antipsychotics, including olanzapine, ziprasidone, and lurasidone, were examined in a meta-analysis.
Antidepressants may effectively treat depression in patients with comorbid schizophrenia.
Abstinence-contingent incentives improved smoking cessation outcomes among economically disadvantaged smokers with mental illness.
A growing body of research consistently shows that patients with schizophrenia often suffer from sleep disturbances.
AVATAR therapy significantly reduced the severity of hallucinations compared with supportive counseling.
A schizophrenia-related polygenic-risk score association gradient was identified across bipolar disorder phenotypes.
The severity of psychotic symptoms in patients with bipolar affective disorder correlated inversely with the response to lithium therapy.
Patients with schizophrenia-spectrum disorders had higher odds of being aggressive than people with bipolar disorder with a recent manic episode.
Family members of ALS patients have higher rates of neuropsychiatric conditions.
For patients with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder, younger age was significantly associated with an increased rate of readmission.
The risk of developing schizophrenia may be impacted by specific inflammatory biomarkers.
Transcranial direct current stimulation might aid patients with schizophrenia who experience auditory hallucinations.
Lurasidone reduced agitation in patients with acute exacerbation of schizophrenia.
People with schizophrenia have a mortality rate 3 times higher than the general population, which may be linked to higher rates of smoking, alcohol consumption, poor diet, and lack of exercise in people with schizophrenia.
The quality of diabetes care was examined in patients with and without schizophrenia in a Danish nationwide cohort.
In patients with schizophrenia, long-acting injectable formulations of paliperidone palmitate delay relapse significantly after withdrawal.
Dopamine dysfunction underlies the pathoetiology of psychosis in both bipolar disorder and schizophrenia.
Researchers conducted a prospective case-control study to examine predictors of early and late-onset psychosis in Parkinson disease.
These findings suggest that there are critical periods of development associated with a higher risk of persistent negative symptoms.
In this study, 672 patients with schizophrenia were evaluated with the EPICOG-SCH brief cognitive battery.
Seven signs and symptoms might alert someone to the possible presentation of schizophrenia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Cost-Effectiveness of Atomoxetine for Treating Children with ADHD
- Efficacy of Drugs for Psychosis, Relapse Prevention for Bipolar Depression, Mania
- No Evidence of Cognitive Impairment With Lisdexamfetamine Dimesylate in ADHD
- Differential Testosterone Levels in Men, Women With Schizophrenia
- Intervention Improves Quality of Life, Agitation in Nursing Home Patients With Dementia
- Substance-Induced Psychosis Associated With Development of Schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorder
- Neuropsychiatric Events May Be Linked to Nitrated Nucleosome Levels in Lupus
- New APA Guideline Recommendation for Treatment of Alcohol Use Disorder
- Reducing PTSD Symptoms: Propranolol Before Reactivation Therapy
- Cannabis Use Associated With Subsequent Psychotic Experiences in Adolescents
- Antidepressants More Effective Than Placebo for Acute Depression in Adults
- Positive Beliefs About Age May Protect Older Adults Against Dementia
- Electrical Stimulation of Amygdala May Improve Long-Term Memory
- Negative Symptoms of Schizophrenia May Be Reduced With MIN-101
- Apathy: An Important Predictor of Employment in Huntington Disease