"Since the current generation of psychiatrists has been raised on second-generation antipsychotics and has relatively little experience with first-generation antipsychotics, keeping tardive dyskinesia in mind is not, on the whole, part of their experience or training," said Christoph U. Correll, MD.
These data may be useful to clinicians in considering the risks and benefits of prescribing haloperidol for patients with cardiac morbidity.
In patients with a history of pre-diagnostic violence, a history of non-violent offending in the 18-month period pre-diagnosis was the strongest predictor of future violence.
The authors pointed to a possible difference in the specific symptoms alleviated by different types of stimulation.
The early sustained recovery group was more likely to have a diagnosis other than schizophrenia, particularly mania or brief psychosis.
Although various clinical and psychosocial factors were associated with unhealthy lifestyle factors and higher risk for CVD, the strongest associations were with negative symptoms.
Treatment beyond antipsychotic drugs is needed for people with schizophrenia, as positive symptoms are a peripheral node in the network.
Given the high risk for metabolic disorder and type 2 diabetes, clinicians should select psychotropic medications carefully and monitor metabolic conditions regularly in their patients with serious mental illness.
Despite the recognition that early daily tobacco use likely increases the risk for later psychosis, investigation of the effect of covariates such as substance use, existing psychotic features, or parental/family factors was lacking in the literature.
These results suggest that CBT alone may be insufficient in enhancing work outcomes in patients with schizophrenia, despite its efficacy in treating other symptoms.
The meta-analysis showed raloxifene to be effective for positive symptoms, negative symptoms, and general psychopathology, with greatly homogeneous results.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- #MeToo: Helping Victims Cope With Sexual Harassment
- Association Between Psychosis and Development of Dementia in Older Men
- Phonemic Verbal Advantage in Mild Cognitive Impairment May Predict Risk for Alzheimer Disease
- Psychosis Could Be a Potential Side Effect of Steroid Treatment in Kids
- Guidance Offered for Improving Mental Health in Workplace
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Nutritional Influences on Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Old Challenges and New Directions in Managing Tardive Dyskinesia
- Early Intervention Strategies for Bipolar Disorder: Clinical Dilemmas and Directions
- Similar Rates of Childhood Trauma in Schizophrenia and Substance Use Disorders
- Bully for Us: Confronting Medicine's Bullying Problem
- Personality Functioning Associated With Global Functioning in Bipolar Disorder I
- Higher Incidence of Mania in Adults With Intellectual Disabilities vs General Population
- Youth With Gender Nonconformity Vulnerable to Adversity
- Negative Affect That Lingers Tied to Health 10 Years Later