Schizophrenia and Psychoses Feature Archive
Understanding more about the original protocols of RCTs for various drugs may offer helpful insights into the clinical implications of those trials' findings.
A patient does not have to be verbal to benefit from art therapy.
According to one review, there are more individuals with serious mental illness in correctional institutions than in all US state hospitals.
University of Washington Tobacco Scholar Joseph Cerimele, MD, MPH, discusses the relationship between smoking and psychiatric illness.
The methodological quality of schizophrenia guidelines varies, while lack of consistency across guidelines and inadequate adherence in the clinical setting can impact the quality of care and outcome.
SlowMo, a new digital platform for patients to use outside therapy session, targets the psychological processes that play a role in paranoia.
If psychosis is viewed as a spectrum or a continuum, it becomes easier to identify those at acute end of the spectrum.
Antipsychotics have been effective in the treatment of psychotic disorders, but clinicians must be cognizant of side effects.
Although clozapine is often ignored by many clinicians, the antipsychotic should be considered for more patients.
Toxoplasma gondii has been implicated in mental illnesses, including schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
While some argue that cannabis may worsen schizophrenia symptoms, evidence is mounting for marijuana as a potential treatment.
The case of Scott Panetti, a schizophrenic who killed two people, highlights why mental illness needs to be taken into account with the death penalty.
Providers and patients may see better outcomes with simplified regimens.
New drugs in development target novel receptors in the brain and modified formulations of existing medications could improve adherence.
Greater use of pharmacogenomic tests could maximize medication efficacy for individual patients.
Patient preference, tolerance and efficacy should be considered to achieve optimal therapeutic results.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Effectiveness of Exercise in Decreasing Depressive Symptoms
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Associated With Decreased Educational Attainment
- Dementia Risk Not Associated With Proton Pump Inhibitor Use
- Antidepressant Effectiveness for Depression in Schizophrenia
- Signs Workplace Stress Affects Mental Health
- Nutritional Psychiatry: Emerging Evidence and Expert Interview
- FDA Approval: Once-Monthly Buprenorphine Injection for Opioid Use Disorder
- Posttreatment Brain Effects of Psilocybin in Patients With Treatment-Resistant Depression
- Bipolar Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder May Represent the Same Disorder
- Borderline Personality Disorder: Not Just an Adult Condition
- Psychosis Treatment Failure More Common in Patients With ASD
- Psychiatric Risk for Female Offspring of World War II Finnish Evacuees
- Making a Decision: Using Conscious vs Unconscious Thinking to Solve the Problem
- Adult ADHD May Negatively Affect Fibromyalgia-Related Morbidity
- Depression Screening Tools Accurate in Post-Acute Coronary Syndrome