Schizophrenia and Psychoses Feature Archive
Understanding more about the original protocols of RCTs for various drugs may offer helpful insights into the clinical implications of those trials' findings.
A patient does not have to be verbal to benefit from art therapy.
According to one review, there are more individuals with serious mental illness in correctional institutions than in all US state hospitals.
University of Washington Tobacco Scholar Joseph Cerimele, MD, MPH, discusses the relationship between smoking and psychiatric illness.
The methodological quality of schizophrenia guidelines varies, while lack of consistency across guidelines and inadequate adherence in the clinical setting can impact the quality of care and outcome.
SlowMo, a new digital platform for patients to use outside therapy session, targets the psychological processes that play a role in paranoia.
If psychosis is viewed as a spectrum or a continuum, it becomes easier to identify those at acute end of the spectrum.
Antipsychotics have been effective in the treatment of psychotic disorders, but clinicians must be cognizant of side effects.
Although clozapine is often ignored by many clinicians, the antipsychotic should be considered for more patients.
Toxoplasma gondii has been implicated in mental illnesses, including schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
While some argue that cannabis may worsen schizophrenia symptoms, evidence is mounting for marijuana as a potential treatment.
The case of Scott Panetti, a schizophrenic who killed two people, highlights why mental illness needs to be taken into account with the death penalty.
Providers and patients may see better outcomes with simplified regimens.
New drugs in development target novel receptors in the brain and modified formulations of existing medications could improve adherence.
Greater use of pharmacogenomic tests could maximize medication efficacy for individual patients.
Patient preference, tolerance and efficacy should be considered to achieve optimal therapeutic results.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders