Generic Name and Formulations:
Edoxaban 15mg, 30mg, 60mg; tabs.
Indications for SAVAYSA:
To reduce the risk of stroke and systemic embolism (SE) in patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation (NVAF). Treatment of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and pulmonary embolism (PE) following 5–10 days of initial therapy with parenteral anticoagulant.
Limitations Of use:
Not for use in NVAF patients with CrCl >95mL/min.
Assess CrCl prior to initiation. NVAF: CrCl >50mL/min: 60mg once daily; CrCl 15–50mL/min: 30mg once daily. DVT/PE: CrCl >50mL/min: 60mg once daily following initial parenteral anticoagulant; CrCl 15–50mL/min, body wt. ≤60kg, or concomitant P-gp inhibitors: 30mg once daily. Transition to or from Savaysa: see full labeling.
Active pathological bleeding.
Reduced efficacy in NVAF patients with CrCl >95mL/min; use another anticoagulant. Premature discontinuation increases risk of ischemic events; if discontinued for reason other than bleeding or therapy completion, consider coverage with another anticoagulant. Increased risk of spinal/epidural hematoma in anticoagulated patients receiving neuraxial anesthesia or undergoing spinal puncture (eg, use of indwelling epidural catheters); monitor for signs/symptoms of neurological impairment. Increased risk of bleeding; monitor for signs/symptoms of blood loss; discontinue if active pathological hemorrhage occurs. Patients with mechanical heart valves or moderate-to-severe mitral stenosis: not recommended. Discontinue at least 24hrs before surgery. Renal impairment (CrCl <15mL/min), moderate or severe hepatic impairment (Child-Pugh B and C): not recommended. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Increased risk of bleeding with concomitant aspirin, other antiplatelets or antithrombotic agents, fibrinolytic therapy, chronic NSAIDs, SSRIs, and SNRIs; monitor. Concomitant other anticoagulants in long term therapy: not recommended. Avoid concomitant P-gp inducers (eg, rifampin).
Factor Xa inhibitor.
Bleeding (may be serious or fatal), anemia, rash, abnormal LFTs.
Tabs 15mg—30; 30mg, 60mg—30, 90, 500
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders