Generic Name and Formulations:
Edoxaban 15mg, 30mg, 60mg; tabs.
Indications for SAVAYSA:
To reduce the risk of stroke and systemic embolism (SE) in patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation (NVAF). Treatment of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and pulmonary embolism (PE) following 5–10 days of initial therapy with parenteral anticoagulant.
Limitations Of use:
Not for use in NVAF patients with CrCl >95mL/min.
Assess CrCl prior to initiation. NVAF: CrCl >50mL/min: 60mg once daily; CrCl 15–50mL/min: 30mg once daily. DVT/PE: CrCl >50mL/min: 60mg once daily following initial parenteral anticoagulant; CrCl 15–50mL/min, body wt. ≤60kg, or concomitant P-gp inhibitors: 30mg once daily. Transition to or from Savaysa: see full labeling.
Active pathological bleeding.
Reduced efficacy in NVAF patients with CrCl >95mL/min; use another anticoagulant. Premature discontinuation increases risk of ischemic events; if discontinued for reason other than bleeding or therapy completion, consider coverage with another anticoagulant. Increased risk of spinal/epidural hematoma in anticoagulated patients receiving neuraxial anesthesia or undergoing spinal puncture (eg, use of indwelling epidural catheters); monitor for signs/symptoms of neurological impairment. Increased risk of bleeding; monitor for signs/symptoms of blood loss; discontinue if active pathological hemorrhage occurs. Patients with mechanical heart valves or moderate-to-severe mitral stenosis: not recommended. Discontinue at least 24hrs before surgery. Renal impairment (CrCl <15mL/min), moderate or severe hepatic impairment (Child-Pugh B and C): not recommended. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Increased risk of bleeding with concomitant aspirin, other antiplatelets or antithrombotic agents, fibrinolytic therapy, chronic NSAIDs, SSRIs, and SNRIs; monitor. Concomitant other anticoagulants in long term therapy: not recommended. Avoid concomitant P-gp inducers (eg, rifampin).
Factor Xa inhibitor.
Bleeding (may be serious or fatal), anemia, rash, abnormal LFTs.
Tabs 15mg—30; 30mg, 60mg—30, 90, 500
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder