SANDIMMUNE ORAL SOLUTION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Cyclosporine 100mg/mL; contains alcohol.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for SANDIMMUNE ORAL SOLUTION:
Organ rejection prophylaxis in kidney, liver, and heart allogeneic transplants, in combination with corticosteroids. Treatment of chronic rejection in patients previously treated with other immunosuppressants. IV: reserved for patients who are unable to take caps or oral soln.
Give consistently with regard to meals and time of day. Initially 15mg/kg as a single dose given 4–12hrs prior to transplantation. Continue initial daily dose for 1–2wks post-op then taper by 5% per week to maintenance dose of 5–10mg/kg/day. Adjunct corticosteroid therapy is recommended. Oral soln: dilute with room temp milk, chocolate milk, or orange juice before administration; avoid switching diluents frequently. Conversion from Neoral, blood concentration monitoring: see full labeling.
See full labeling.
IV: hypersensitivity to Cremophor EL.
Be fully familiar with immunosuppressive therapy before prescribing. Not bioequivalent to all other forms of cyclosporine; do not interchange without physician supervision. Increased risk of infections, lymphomas and other malignancies (eg, skin). Monitor BP, renal and hepatic function. Control hypertension if develops. Malabsorption. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid other nephrotoxic drugs (eg, ciprofloxacin, gentamicin, tobramycin, vancomycin, SMX/TMP, melphalan, amphotericin B, ketoconazole, cimetidine, ranitidine, tacrolimus, NSAIDs, colchicine), fibric acid derivatives, methotrexate. Cyclosporine levels increased by CYP3A inhibitors (eg, calcium channel blockers, amiodarone, azithromycin, azole antifungals, erythromycin, clarithromycin, quinupristin/dalfopristin, boceprevir, telaprevir, methylprednisolone, allopurinol, colchicine, bromocriptine, danazol, metoclopramide, probably indinavir, saquinavir, nelfinavir, ritonavir, imatinib, nefazodone, oral contraceptives). Avoid alcohol, grapefruit juice. Cyclosporine levels decreased by CYP3A inducers (eg, nafcillin, rifampin, carbamazepine, oxcarbazepine, bosentan (avoid), phenobarbital, phenytoin, octreotide, sulfinpyrazone, terbinafine, ticlopidine, St. John's wort), orlistat. Avoid potassium-sparing diuretics. Caution with concomitant rifabutin. Concomitant repaglinide: monitor blood glucose. Concomitant aliskiren: not recommended. Concomitant sirolimus: separate by 4 hours. May decrease effectiveness of vaccines; avoid live attenuated vaccines. May increase levels of digoxin (monitor), colchicine, statins (reduce dose), ambrisentan, and anthracycline antibiotics, dabigatran (avoid). Gingival hyperplasia with nifedipine. Convulsions with high-dose methylprednisolone.
Renal dysfunction, tremor, hirsutism, hypertension, gum hyperplasia, cramps, convulsions, headache, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting; increased risk of infections or malignancies, progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy, polyoma virus-associated nephropathy, hypomagnesemia, hyperkalemia, hyperuricemia, thrombotic microangiopathy, hepatotoxicity, neurotoxicity; IV: anaphylactic reactions.
Caps—3x10 blister cards; Soln—50mL; Inj (5mL)—10
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder