Trospium Chloride Ext-Rel Caps Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Trospium chloride 60mg; ext-rel caps.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Trospium Chloride Ext-Rel Caps:
Overactive bladder with symptoms of urge urinary incontinence, urgency, and frequency.
Take on empty stomach. 60mg daily in the AM. Severe renal impairment (CrCl<30mL/min): not recommended.
Gastric or urinary retention; uncontrolled narrow-angle glaucoma; and patients at risk for these conditions.
Bladder outflow obstruction. GI obstructive disorders. Ulcerative colitis. Narrow-angle glaucoma (monitor). Intestinal atony. Myasthenia gravis. Exposure to high environmental temperature. Renal insufficiency (CrCl 30–80mL/min). Moderate to severe hepatic dysfunction. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Additive anticholinergic effects with other anticholinergics. Increased drowsiness with alcohol; avoid consumption within 2hrs of administration. May alter absorption of other drugs (decreased GI motility). May potentiate or be potentiated by drugs eliminated by active tubular secretion. May be antagonized by metformin.
Anticholinergic effects (dry mouth, constipation, dry eyes, urinary retention, blurred vision), CNS effects (monitor), dyspepsia, headache.
Formerly known under the brand name Sanctura, Sanctura XR.
Fecal (primarily), renal.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders