Generic Name and Formulations:
Dantrolene sodium 250mg; per vial; lyophilized pwd for IV inj after reconstitution.
Indications for RYANODEX:
Treatment of malignant hyperthermia (MH) in conjunction with appropriate supportive measures. Prevention of malignant hyperthermia in high-risk patients.
Adults and Children:
Treatment: Give by IV push at a minimum of 1mg/kg; if psychologic and metabolic abnormalities continues or reappear, repeat dosing; max cumulative dose: 10mg/kg. Prevention: Start approx. 75 mins prior to surgery. 2.5mg/kg by IV over ≥1 min; may give additional doses if surgery prolonged.
Institute supportive measures (eg, discontinue MH-triggering agents, manage metabolic acidosis, cooling if necessary, diuretic administration). Monitor for skeletal muscle weakness, adequate ventilation, difficulty swallowing and choking. Avoid extravasation. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid MH-triggering agents. Increased risk of somnolence or dizziness with concomitant sedative agents. Concomitant calcium channel blockers: not recommended. Concomitant other muscle relaxants may potentiate neuromuscular block. Increased CNS effects with concomitant antipsychotics, anxiolytics.
Muscle relaxant (skeletal).
Loss of grip strength, weakness in the legs, drowsiness, flushing, somnolence, dizziness, nausea, thrombophlebitis, tissue necrosis secondary to extravasation, urticaria, inj site reactions (eg, pain, erythema, swelling); dyspnea, dysphasia.
Single-use vial (20mL)—1 (w. diluent)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Suicide Risk After Self-Harm Among Adolescents, Young Adults
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Safety, Efficacy of Deep Brain Stimulation for Alzheimer Disease Examined
- Many Teens Who Use Tobacco Don't Self-Identify as Users