Generic Name and Formulations:
Dantrolene sodium 250mg; per vial; lyophilized pwd for IV inj after reconstitution.
Indications for RYANODEX:
Treatment of malignant hyperthermia (MH) in conjunction with appropriate supportive measures. Prevention of malignant hyperthermia in high-risk patients.
Adults and Children:
Treatment: Give by IV push at a minimum of 1mg/kg; if psychologic and metabolic abnormalities continues or reappear, repeat dosing; max cumulative dose: 10mg/kg. Prevention: Start approx. 75 mins prior to surgery. 2.5mg/kg by IV over ≥1 min; may give additional doses if surgery prolonged.
Institute supportive measures (eg, discontinue MH-triggering agents, manage metabolic acidosis, cooling if necessary, diuretic administration). Monitor for skeletal muscle weakness, adequate ventilation, difficulty swallowing and choking. Avoid extravasation. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid MH-triggering agents. Increased risk of somnolence or dizziness with concomitant sedative agents. Concomitant calcium channel blockers: not recommended. Concomitant other muscle relaxants may potentiate neuromuscular block. Increased CNS effects with concomitant antipsychotics, anxiolytics.
Muscle relaxant (skeletal).
Loss of grip strength, weakness in the legs, drowsiness, flushing, somnolence, dizziness, nausea, thrombophlebitis, tissue necrosis secondary to extravasation, urticaria, inj site reactions (eg, pain, erythema, swelling); dyspnea, dysphasia.
Single-use vial (20mL)—1 (w. diluent)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Elevated Dopamine Synthesis Capacity Observed in Both Bipolar and Schizophrenia
- SSRI Use Associated With Increased Type 2 Diabetes Risk in Young Adults
- Specialty Physicians Experiencing Lack of Income Growth
- Improved Patient-Provider Communication Needed Following Urgent Care Visits
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV