Generic Name and Formulations:
Pentavalent, live rotavirus vaccine; oral susp; contains fetal bovine serum (trace); preservative-free.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for ROTATEQ:
Rotavirus gastroenteritis vaccination in infants 6–32 weeks of age.
<6 weeks or >32 weeks: not established. Each dose is 1 tube. Give 1st dose orally at 6–12 weeks of age; give 2nd and 3rd dose at 4–10 week intervals for a total of 3 doses. If incomplete dose is given, do not give replacement dose; continue with remaining doses in the recommended series.
Severe combined immunodeficiency disease. History of intussusception.
Immunocompromised (blood dyscrasias, leukemia, lymphomas, or other malignancies; primary and acquired immunodeficiency states, HIV/AIDS; cellular immune deficiencies; and hypogammaglobulinemic and dysgammaglobulinemic states; received blood transfusion or blood products, including immunoglobulins within 42 days). Febrile illness. Active or history of GI disorders. Chronic diarrhea. Failure to thrive. History of congenital abdominal disorders. Abdominal surgery. Risk of intussusception. Immunodeficient close contacts. Pregnancy (Cat. C), women of child-bearing potential: not recommended.
Immunosuppressants (eg, irradiation, chemotherapy, high-dose steroids): may get suboptimal response. Concomitant vaccines: see full labeling; oral polio vaccine: not recommended.
Diarrhea, vomiting, irritability, otitis media, nasopharyngitis, bronchospasm; rare: intussusception, hematochezia, seizures, Kawasaki disease.
Single-use tube (2mL)—10, 25
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age