Generic Name and Formulations:
Live, attenuated human G1P rotavirus vaccine; lyophilized pwd for oral administration after reconstitution; preservative-free.
Indications for ROTARIX:
Prevention of rotavirus gastroenteritis caused by G1 and non-G1 types (G3, G4, and G9) in infants and children.
<6 weeks or >24 weeks of age: not recommended. Each oral dose is 1mL. Give 1st dose beginning at 6 weeks of age, 2nd dose at least 4 weeks later; complete 2-dose series by 24th week of age. May give a replacement dose at same vaccination visit if dosing is incomplete or regurgitated.
Uncorrected congenital GI tract malformation (eg, Meckel's diverticulum) (increased risk of intussusception). History of intussusception. Severe combined immunodeficiency disease.
Acute diarrhea or vomiting (delay immunization). Chronic GI disorders. Immunodeficiency or immunosuppressed close contacts (live virus shedding may allow transmission to others). Latex allergy. Pregnancy (Cat.C): not applicable.
May give with concomitant vaccines (eg, DTaP, Hep B, Inactivated Poliovirus Vaccine Combined, Hib conjugate). Immunosuppressants (eg, irradiation, chemotherapy, high-dose steroids): may get suboptimal response.
Fussiness/irritability, cough/runny nose, fever, loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, pneumonia; rare: Kawasaki disease.
Report adverse events to VAERS at (800) 822-7967 and to GlaxoSmithKline at (888) 825-5249.
Vials—10 (w. prefilled diluent in oral applicator)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder