Generic Name and Formulations:
Ceftriaxone sodium 500mg, 1g; IM or IV inj; sodium content 3.6mEq/g.
Roche Diagnostics Corp.
Indications for ROCEPHIN:
Susceptible bacterial septicemia, acute bacterial otitis media, lower respiratory tract, UTIs, skin and skin structure, bone and joint, pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), intraabdominal infections, meningitis, uncomplicated gonorrhea. Surgical prophylaxis.
1–2g IM or IV once daily or in 2 equally divided doses; max 4g/day. Gonorrhea: 250mg IM once. Surgery: a single dose of 1g IV ½–2 hours pre-op.
50–75mg/kg per day in equally divided doses every 12hrs; max 2g/day. Skin and skin structures: may give once daily or in 2 equally divided doses every 12hrs; max 2g/day. Meningitis: 100mg/kg (max 4g) for 1 dose, then 100mg/kg per day (max 4g/day) once daily or in 2 equally divided doses every 12hrs for 7–14 days. Otitis media: 50mg/kg (max 1g) IM once.
Hyperbilirubinemic or premature neonates. Concomitant calcium-containing IV solutions or products in neonates. Ceftriaxone solutions containing lidocaine for IV administration.
Penicillin or other beta-lactam allergy. Discontinue if urolithiasis, oliguria, renal or gallbladder sonographic abnormalities, signs or symptoms occur. Renal failure: monitor; decrease dose if drug accumulation occurs. Chronic hepatic disease or malnutrition (impaired Vit. K synthesis or storage): monitor prothrombin time. Both hepatic and significant renal impairment: usual max 2g/day. GI disease (esp. colitis). Ensure adequate hydration. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Increase risk of bleeding with concomitant Vit. K antagonists. May be potentiated by probenecid. Precipitation can form with calcium-containing solutions; avoid. May cause false (+) Clinitest or Coomb's test.
Local reactions, hematologic effects (eg, eosinophilia), rash, diarrhea, elevated liver enzymes; rare: hemolytic anemia, allergic pneumonitis, seizures, anaphylaxis, pancreatitis.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder