Generic Name and Formulations:
Calcitriol 0.25mcg, 0.5mcg; caps.
Indications for ROCALTROL:
Secondary hyperparathyroidism and resultant metabolic bone disease in predialysis patients (CrCl 15–55mL/min). Hypocalcemia and resultant metabolic bone disease in patients on chronic renal dialysis. Hypocalcemia in hypoparathyroidism, pseudohypoparathyroidism.
Predialysis: initially 0.25mcg daily; may increase to 0.5mcg daily. Dialysis: initially 0.25mcg daily; may increase by 0.25mcg daily at 4–8 week intervals; usual maintenance: 0.5–1mcg daily. Hypoparathyroidism: initially 0.25mcg daily in the AM; may increase by 0.25mcg daily at 2–4 week intervals; usual maintenance: 0.5–2mcg daily.
Predialysis: <3yrs: 10–15nanograms/kg per day; ≥3yrs: initially 0.25mcg daily; may increase to 0.5mcg daily. Dialysis: not recommended. Hypoparathyroidism: initially 0.25mcg daily in the AM; may increase by 0.25mcg daily at 2–4 week intervals. Usual maintenance (1–5 yrs): 0.25–0.75mcg daily; (>6 yrs): 0.5–2mcg daily. Pseudohypoparathyroidism: (<6 yrs): insufficient data; see literature.
Hypercalcemia. Concurrent Vit. D therapy. Vit. D toxicity. Nursing mothers.
Maintain adequate daily calcium and fluid intake. Keep serum calcium times phosphate (Ca x P) product below 70. Monitor serum calcium (esp. during dose titration), phosphorus, other lab values (see literature for frequency). Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Vit. D analog.
Hypermagnesemia with magnesium-containing antacids. Decreased absorption with cholestyramine, mineral oil. Arrhythmias with digitalis if hypercalcemia occurs. Antagonized by phenobarbital. Thiazides increase urinary excretion of calcium. Serum levels may be affected by ketoconazole.
Symptoms of hypervitaminosis D, hypercalcemia, hypercalciuria, elevated creatinine, erythema multiforme, hyperphosphatemia.
Caps 0.25mcg—30, 100; 0.5mcg—100; Soln—15mL (w. 20 single-use dispensers)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Comorbid Narcolepsy and Schizophrenia in Adolescents
- Ketamine in Electroconvulsive Therapy Accelerates Antidepressive Effects
- Adverse Events Caused by Once-Monthly Aripiprazole Are Time Limited
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses