Generic Name and Formulations:
Riluzole 50mg; tabs.
Covis Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for RILUTEK:
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).
Take on an empty stomach. 50mg every 12 hours.
Hepatic insufficiency; discontinue if ALT ≥5xULN or if jaundice develops; rechallenge not recommended. Measure LFTs before and during therapy: ALT every month for first 3 months, every 3 months for the remainder of the year, then periodically thereafter. Increased risk of neutropenia; monitor for febrile illness and obtain WBC. Perform chest radiography if respiratory symptoms develop. Females. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with concomitant hepatotoxic agents (eg, allopurinol, methyldopa, sulfasalazine). Avoid excessive alcohol. May be potentiated by CYP1A2 inhibitors (eg, caffeine, phenacetin, theophylline, amitriptyline, quinolones). May be antagonized by CYP1A2 inducers (eg, cigarette smoke, charcoal-broiled food, rifampicin, omeprazole).
Asthenia, nausea, dizziness, decreased lung function, diarrhea, abdominal pain, pneumonia, vomiting, vertigo, circumoral paresthesia, anorexia, somnolence; abnormal liver function tests, neutropenia, interstitial lung disease, hypersensitivity pneumonitis.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder Associated With ADHD and Female Gender
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Symptom Trajectories Vary According to Language Development in Autism
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children