Generic Name and Formulations:
Riluzole 50mg; tabs.
Covis Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for RILUTEK:
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).
Take on an empty stomach. 50mg every 12 hours.
Hepatic insufficiency; discontinue if ALT ≥5xULN or if jaundice develops; rechallenge not recommended. Measure LFTs before and during therapy: ALT every month for first 3 months, every 3 months for the remainder of the year, then periodically thereafter. Increased risk of neutropenia; monitor for febrile illness and obtain WBC. Perform chest radiography if respiratory symptoms develop. Females. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with concomitant hepatotoxic agents (eg, allopurinol, methyldopa, sulfasalazine). Avoid excessive alcohol. May be potentiated by CYP1A2 inhibitors (eg, caffeine, phenacetin, theophylline, amitriptyline, quinolones). May be antagonized by CYP1A2 inducers (eg, cigarette smoke, charcoal-broiled food, rifampicin, omeprazole).
Asthenia, nausea, dizziness, decreased lung function, diarrhea, abdominal pain, pneumonia, vomiting, vertigo, circumoral paresthesia, anorexia, somnolence; abnormal liver function tests, neutropenia, interstitial lung disease, hypersensitivity pneumonitis.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Impairment May Predict Persistent Psychosis in Ketamine Users
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders