Generic Name and Formulations:
Dantrolene sodium 20mg; per vial; lyophilized pwd for IV inj after reconstitution; contains mannitol.
US WorldMeds, LLC
Indications for REVONTO:
Management of the fulminant hypermetabolism of skeletal muscle characteristic of malignant hyperthermia (MH). Prevention of malignant hyperthermia in susceptible patients during pre-op or sometimes post-op.
Adults and Children:
Treatment: Give by rapid IV push at a minimum of 1mg/kg, continue until symptoms subside or max cumulative dose of 10mg/kg has been reached; if physiologic and metabolic abnormalities reappear, repeat regimen. Prevention: Start approx. 75 mins prior to anesthesia, give 2.5mg/kg by IV infusion over 1hr; may give additional doses during anesthesia or prolonged surgery.
Institute supportive measures (eg, discontinue MH-triggering agents, increase oxygen requirements, manage metabolic acidosis, cooling if necessary, monitor urinary output and electrolyte imbalance). Monitor for skeletal muscle weakness, difficulty swallowing and choking. Increased risk of hepatic injury (esp. in females or patients >35yrs of age); monitor hepatic function frequently (eg, SGOT, SGPT). Avoid extravasation. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid MH-triggering agents. Concomitant calcium channel blockers (eg, verapamil): not recommended. Caution with concomitant tranquilizers. May potentiate vecuronium-induced neuromuscular block. Protein binding reduced by warfarin or clofibrate; and increased by tolbutamide.
Muscle relaxant (skeletal).
Loss of grip strength, weakness in the legs, drowsiness, dizziness, thrombophlebitis, tissue necrosis secondary to extravasation, inj site reactions (eg, pain, erythema, swelling); rare: pulmonary edema, urticaria, erythema.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed