RENACIDIN IRRIGATION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Citric acid 6.602g, glucono-delta-lactone 198mg, magnesium carbonate 3.177g; per 100mL; irrigation soln (pH 3.85).
Indications for RENACIDIN IRRIGATION:
Dissolution of renal or bladder calculi composed of apatite or struvite in select patients. Adjunct to dissolve apatite or struvite calculi after surgery or to achieve partial dissolution prior to surgical removal. Prevention of incrustations of indwelling urinary tract catheters.
Renal calculi: Irrigate with sterile saline at 60mL/hr after fourth or fifth post-operative day and increase until pain, elevated pressure or a maximum of 120mL/hr is achieved; then start Renacidin at max rate achieved with saline. Bladder calculi: 30mL through urinary catheter into bladder, clamp for 30–60 minutes, drain bladder; repeat 4–6 times a day. Catheter incrustation: 30mL through catheter, clamp for 10 minutes, drain; repeat 3 times daily.
UTIs (obtain urine culture prior to use). Urinary tract extravasation.
Monitor magnesium, phosphate, serum creatinine, intrapelvic pressure, and for UTI or catheter obstruction; discontinue if these increase or severe urothelial edema on X-ray occur. Impaired renal function. Maintain catheter patency. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant magnesium: not recommended.
Transient flank pain, urthelial ulceration and/or edema, fever, UTI, back pain, dysuria, transient hematuria, nausea, hypermagnesemia, hyperphosphatemia, elevated serum creatinine, candidiasis, bladder irritation.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Cost-Effective Telehealth Alternatives for Veterans With Depression
- Polygenic Risk Scores Could Aid in Identifying Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses