Generic Name and Formulations:
Treprostinil 1mg/mL, 2.5mg/mL, 5mg/mL, 10mg/mL; soln for SC or IV continuous infusion.
United Therapeutics Corp.
Indications for REMODULIN:
Pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) in patients with NYHA Class II–IV symptoms, to diminish symptoms associated with exercise. PAH patients requiring transition from Flolan (epoprostenol), to reduce the rate of clinical deterioration.
>16yrs: Give preferably by SC infusion; if not tolerated, may give by IV infusion (dilution required). Treatment-naïve: Initially 1.25ng/kg/min (or 0.625ng/kg/min, if not tolerated); may increase dose based on response by increments of 1.25ng/kg/min per week for 1st 4 weeks of treatment, then 2.5ng/kg/min per week. Doses >40ng/kg/min: limited experience. Mild-to-moderate hepatic insufficiency: initially 0.625ng/kg/min; increase cautiously. Severe hepatic insufficiency: not studied. Transition from Flolan (epoprostenol): increase treprostinil dose gradually as the epoprostenol dose is decreased, based on response; see full labeling.
≤16yrs: not recommended.
Should be administered by experienced clinicians in PAH diagnosis and treatment. IV route: risk of blood stream infections and sepsis; may be fatal. Avoid abrupt withdrawal or sudden large dose reduction. Hepatic or renal insufficiency; titrate gradually. Elderly. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Increased risk of symptomatic hypotension with concomitant diuretics, antihypertensives, other vasodilators. May be potentiated by CYP2C8 inhibitor (eg, gemfibrozil). May be antagonized by CYP2C8 inducer (eg, rifampin). Increased risk of bleeding with anticoagulants.
Infusion reactions/site pain, headache, diarrhea, nausea, jaw pain, vasodilatation, dizziness, edema, pruritus, hypotension.
Multidose vials (20mL)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling