Generic Name and Formulations:
Becaplermin 0.01%; gel; contains parabens, m-cresol.
Smith & Nephew, Inc.
Indications for REGRANEX:
Adjunct in the treatment of lower extremity diabetic neuropathic ulcers that extend into the subcutaneous tissue or beyond and have an adequate blood supply.
≥16yrs: Apply once daily until complete healing has occurred. Measure size of ulcer and adjust at 1–2 week intervals. Calculate amount of gel needed based on ulcer size and product tube size. Squeeze calculated length of gel from tube onto clean measuring surface (eg, wax paper). Spread gel over entire ulcer to thickness of about 1/16 inch. Cover with saline dressing for about 12 hrs. Remove dressing and rinse. Replace with clean saline dressing (no gel). Reevaluate if ulcer does not decrease in size by about 30% after 10 weeks, or if complete healing has not occurred after 20 weeks.
To calculate amount of gel in centimeters: If using the 15g tube: Length of gel (in cm) to be applied daily = wound area (length x width in cm2) ÷ 4. If using the 2g tube: Length of gel (in cm) to be applied daily = wound area (length x width in cm2) ÷ 2.
<16yrs: not recommended.
Neoplasm(s) at application site.
Increased rate of mortality secondary to malignancy.
Systemic malignancies (increased death rate with ≥3 tubes of becaplermin gel treatment). Not for use in wounds that close by primary intention. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder Associated With ADHD and Female Gender
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Symptom Trajectories Vary According to Language Development in Autism
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children