Generic Name and Formulations:
Becaplermin 0.01%; gel; contains parabens, m-cresol.
Indications for REGRANEX:
Adjunct in the treatment of lower extremity diabetic neuropathic ulcers that extend into the subcutaneous tissue or beyond and have an adequate blood supply.
≥16yrs: Apply once daily until complete healing has occurred. Measure size of ulcer and adjust at 1–2 week intervals. Calculate amount of gel needed based on ulcer size and product tube size. Squeeze calculated length of gel from tube onto clean measuring surface (eg, wax paper). Spread gel over entire ulcer to thickness of about 1/16 inch. Cover with saline dressing for about 12 hrs. Remove dressing and rinse. Replace with clean saline dressing (no gel). Reevaluate if ulcer does not decrease in size by about 30% after 10 weeks, or if complete healing has not occurred after 20 weeks.
To calculate amount of gel in centimeters: If using the 15g tube: Length of gel (in cm) to be applied daily = wound area (length x width in cm2) ÷ 4. If using the 2g tube: Length of gel (in cm) to be applied daily = wound area (length x width in cm2) ÷ 2.
<16yrs: not recommended.
Neoplasm(s) at application site.
Systemic malignancies (increased death rate with ≥3 tubes of becaplermin gel treatment). Not for use in wounds that close by primary intention. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder