Generic Name and Formulations:
Pyridostigmine bromide 5mg/mL; soln for IV inj; contains benzyl alcohol.
Indications for REGONOL:
As a reversal agent or antagonist to the neuromuscular blocking effects of nondepolarizing muscle relaxants.
Individualize. Give by IV inj. Usual range: 0.1–0.25mg/kg. Give atropine sulfate or equipotent dose of glycopyrrolate immediately prior to or simultaneously with Regonol.
Intestinal or urinary obstruction.
Bronchial asthma. Cardiac dysrhythmias. Electrolyte imbalance. Adrenal cortical insufficiency. Renal impairment. Neonates. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Concomitant 4-aminopyridine may delay onset. Possible resistance to reversal with antibiotics associated with paralysis (eg, aminoglycosides, tetracyclines, bacitracin, polymyxin B, colistin, sodium colistimethate). Recurrent paralysis possible with quinidine. Magnesium salts may enhance neuromuscular blockade and interfere with restoration.
GI upset, increased salivation and bronchial secretions, miosis and diaphoresis, muscle cramps, fasciculation and weakness, rash.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders