Generic Name and Formulations:
Lepirudin 50mg/vial; pwd for IV inj or infusion after reconstitution and dilution; contains mannitol.
Indications for REFLUDAN:
Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT) and associated thromboembolic disease.
Do not start treatment if baseline aPTT ratio ≥2.5 to avoid initial overdosing. ≤110kg: Initially 0.4mg/kg by slow IV bolus inj over 15–20 seconds, follow by 0.15mg/kg/hour as a continuous IV infusion for 2–10 days or longer if clinically needed. >110kg: max initial bolus dose 44mg; max initial infusion dose 16.5mg/hour. Adjust dose based on aPTT ratio; usual target range (1.5–2.5). Monitor 1st aPTT determination at 4 hours after start of infusion and at least once daily during therapy; more frequently with renal impairment or serious liver injury. Dose adjustments, renal impairment, concomitant thrombolytic therapy: see literature.
Recent puncture or anomaly of vessels or organs. Recent cerebrovascular accident, stroke, intracerebral surgery, or other neuraxail procedures. Severe uncontrolled hypertension. Bacterial endocarditis. Hemorrhagic diathesis. Recent major surgery or major bleeding (eg, intracranial, GI, intraocular, or pulmonary). Active peptic ulcer. Advanced renal impairment. Monitor aPTT ratio and creatinine clearance prior to and during therapy. Hepatic impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Direct thrombin inhibitor (recombinant hirudin).
Concomitant thrombolytics (eg, rt-PA, streptokinase), drugs that affect platelets, coumarin derivatives: increase risk of bleeding and potentiate effect of lepirudin on aPTT prolongation.
Bleeding, abnormal liver function, anaphylactic reactions (esp with re-exposure; may be fatal), multiorgan failure, antibody formation.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder Associated With ADHD and Female Gender
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Symptom Trajectories Vary According to Language Development in Autism
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children