Generic Name and Formulations:
Antihemophilic Factor VIII (recombinant) 250 IU, 500 IU, 1000 IU, 2000 IU; per vial; lyophilized pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution; preservative-free.
Indications for REFACTO:
Prevention and control of hemorrhagic episodes and for surgical prophylaxis in Hemophilia A. Short-term routine prophylaxis to reduce frequency of spontaneous bleeding episodes.
Adults and Children:
Dosage Required (IU) = Body Weight (kg) × Desired % Factor VIII Increase × 0.5. Individualize. Infuse at rate comfortable to patient. Minor hemorrhage: obtain 20–40% FVIII increase; give every 12–24hrs for at least 1 day until resolved. Moderate hemorrhage and tooth extraction: obtain 30–60% FVIII increase; give every 12–24hrs for 3–4 days until adequate hemostasis; for tooth extraction: a single infusion plus oral antifibrinolytic therapy within 1hr may be sufficient. Major hemorrhage: obtain 60–100% FVIII increase; give every 8–24hrs until resolved; or, for surgery, until local hemostasis achieved. Prophylaxis: give ≥2 times weekly; children may need shorter dosage intervals or higher doses.
Mouse or hamster protein sensitivity.
Not for von Willebrand's disease. Confirm Factor VIII deficiency prior to treatment. Monitor for development of Factor VIII inhibitors. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Allergic reactions, headache, fever, chills, flushing, nausea, vomiting, lethargy, pruritus, antibody formation.
Single-use vial—1 (w. diluent, supplies)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder Associated With ADHD and Female Gender
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Symptom Trajectories Vary According to Language Development in Autism
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children