Generic Name and Formulations:
Nitroglycerin 0.4% (1.5mg/inch); oint; contains lanolin.
Indications for RECTIV:
Treatment of moderate-to-severe pain associated with chronic anal fissure.
Apply using finger covering (eg, plastic-wrap, disposable surgical glove, finger cot). ≥18yrs: 1 inch of ointment intra-anally every 12 hours for up to 3 weeks. Not for oral, ophthalmic, or intravaginal use.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Concomitant PDE5 inhibitors (eg, sildenafil, vardenafil, tadalafil). Severe anemia. Increased intracranial pressure.
Volume depleted. Hypotension. Cardiomyopathy. CHF. Acute MI. Poor cardiac function. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Hypotension with PDE5 inhibitors, antihypertensive drugs (eg, calcium channel blockers, beta-adrenergic blockers, other nitrates). Potentiated by aspirin. Antagonizes tissue-type plasminogen activator (t-PA); caution. Anticoagulant effect of heparin may be reduced; monitor APTT. Potentiates ergotamine; possible ergotism. Additive vasodilating effects with alcohol; avoid use.
Headache, dizziness, hypotension (including orthostatic hypotension); rare: flushing, allergic reactions, application site reactions (eg, drug rash, exfoliative dermatitis), methemoglobinemia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed