Generic Name and Formulations:
Nitroglycerin 0.4% (1.5mg/inch); oint; contains lanolin.
Indications for RECTIV:
Treatment of moderate-to-severe pain associated with chronic anal fissure.
Apply using finger covering (eg, plastic-wrap, disposable surgical glove, finger cot). ≥18yrs: 1 inch of ointment intra-anally every 12 hours for up to 3 weeks. Not for oral, ophthalmic, or intravaginal use.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Concomitant PDE5 inhibitors (eg, sildenafil, vardenafil, tadalafil). Severe anemia. Increased intracranial pressure.
Volume depleted. Hypotension. Cardiomyopathy. CHF. Acute MI. Poor cardiac function. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Hypotension with PDE5 inhibitors, antihypertensive drugs (eg, calcium channel blockers, beta-adrenergic blockers, other nitrates). Potentiated by aspirin. Antagonizes tissue-type plasminogen activator (t-PA); caution. Anticoagulant effect of heparin may be reduced; monitor APTT. Potentiates ergotamine; possible ergotism. Additive vasodilating effects with alcohol; avoid use.
Headache, dizziness, hypotension (including orthostatic hypotension); rare: flushing, allergic reactions, application site reactions (eg, drug rash, exfoliative dermatitis), methemoglobinemia.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Elevated Dopamine Synthesis Capacity Observed in Both Bipolar and Schizophrenia
- SSRI Use Associated With Increased Type 2 Diabetes Risk in Young Adults
- Specialty Physicians Experiencing Lack of Income Growth
- Improved Patient-Provider Communication Needed Following Urgent Care Visits
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV