Generic Name and Formulations:
Galantamine (as HBr) 4mg, 8mg, 12mg; tabs.
Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for RAZADYNE:
Mild to moderate Alzheimer's dementia.
Give with AM & PM meals. Initially 4mg twice daily; if well-tolerated, increase to maintenance dose 8mg twice daily (16mg/day) after minimum of 4 weeks; may attempt further increase to 12mg twice daily (24mg/day) after minimum of 4 weeks. Re-titrate if interrupted for >3 days. Moderate hepatic or renal impairment (CrCl 9–59mL/min): usual max 16mg/day.
Discontinue at the first sign of skin rash, unless not drug-related; consider alternative therapy if serious skin reactions occur. Conduction disorders (eg, bradycardia, AV block). History of ulcer disease. Bladder outflow obstruction. Asthma. COPD. Seizures. Monitor for active or occult GI bleed, respiratory or neurological effects, and patient's weight. Maintain adequate hydration. Severe hepatic or renal impairment (CrCl <9mL/min): not recommended. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Potentiates neuromuscular blockers (eg, succinylcholine), cholinesterase inhibitors, cholinergic agonists (eg, bethanechol). Antagonizes anticholinergics. Caution with drugs that slow heart rate. May be potentiated by ketoconazole, cimetidine, paroxetine, fluoxetine, erythromycin, possibly others that affect CYP2D6 or CYP3A4. Monitor for GI bleed with NSAIDs.
Reversible acetylcholinesterase inhibitor (benzazepine deriv).
Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, headache, decreased appetite, anorexia, weight loss, syncope, bradycardia, heart block, seizures; serious skin reactions (eg, Stevens-Johnson syndrome).
This product was formerly named Reminyl.
Tabs—60; Soln—100mL (w. cal. pipette); ER caps—30
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Elevated Dopamine Synthesis Capacity Observed in Both Bipolar and Schizophrenia
- SSRI Use Associated With Increased Type 2 Diabetes Risk in Young Adults
- Specialty Physicians Experiencing Lack of Income Growth
- Improved Patient-Provider Communication Needed Following Urgent Care Visits
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV