Generic Name and Formulations:
Calcifediol 30mcg; ext-rel caps.
OPKO Health Inc.
Indications for RAYALDEE:
Secondary hyperparathyroidism in adults with chronic kidney disease (CKD) Stages 3 or 4 and serum total 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels <30ng/mL.
Limitations Of use:
Not for secondary hyperparathyroidism in patients with Stage 5 CKD or ESRD on dialysis.
Confirm serum calcium is <9.8mg/dL prior to initiation. Swallow whole. Initially 30mcg once daily at bedtime. If iPTH remains above desired therapeutic range, increase to 60mcg once daily at bedtime after approx. 3 months; prior to dose increase, ensure serum calcium <9.8mg/dL, serum phosphorous <5.5mg/dL, and serum total 25-hydroxyvitamin D <100ng/mL.
History or risk of hypercalcemia. Monitor serum calcium, phosphorus, 25-hydroxyvitamin D, and iPTH at least 3 months after starting or dose changes, then every 6–12 months. Suspend dosing if iPTH is persistently abnormally low, serum calcium consistently above the normal range, or serum total 25-hydroxyvitamin D >100ng/mL; resume at lower dose after values have normalized. Adynamic bone disease. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by potent CYP3A inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, atazanavir, clarithromycin, indinavir, itraconazole, nefazodone, nelfinavir, ritonavir, saquinavir, telithromycin, voriconazole); monitor and dose adjustment may be needed. Cholestyramine may impair absorption; monitor and adjust dose. Increased risk of hypercalcemia with concomitant Vit. D, phosphate, calcium-containing products, or thiazide diuretics; monitor more frequently and adjust dose. Caution with concomitant digitalis compounds; monitor for toxicity. Antagonized by phenobarbital, other anticonvulsants, or compounds that stimulate microsomal hydroxylation; monitor and dose adjustment may be needed.
Vit. D analog.
Anemia, nasopharyngitis, increased blood creatinine, dyspnea, cough, CHF, constipation, bronchitis, hyperkalemia, osteoarthritis; hypercalcemia, adynamic bone disease.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder