Generic Name and Formulations:
Ranolazine 500mg, 1000mg; ext-rel tabs.
Gilead Sciences, Inc.
Indications for RANEXA:
Chronic angina; may be used with beta-blockers, nitrates, calcium channel blockers, ACE inhibitors, angiotensin receptor blockers, anti-platelet and lipid-lowering therapies.
Swallow whole. Initially 500mg twice daily, may increase to max 1g twice daily. Concomitant moderate CYP3A inhibitors (eg, diltiazem, verapamil, erythromycin, fluconazole, grapefruit-containing products): max 500mg twice daily. Concomitant P-gp inhibitors (eg, cyclosporine): titrate ranolazine dose based on response. Concomitant simvastatin: limit simvastatin to 20mg once daily. Concomitant metformin: give max metformin 1.7g/day if taking ranolazine 1g twice daily.
Severe hepatic impairment. Concomitant strong CYP3A inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, itraconazole, clarithromycin, nefazodone, nelfinavir, ritonavir, indinavir, saquinavir) or CYP3A inducers (eg, rifampin, rifabutin, rifapentine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, carbamazepine, St. John's wort).
Not for acute angina episodes or for treating diabetes. History of or congenital long QT syndrome. Monitor renal function after initiation and periodically in moderate-to-severe renal impairment. Discontinue if acute renal failure develops. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications. Potentiates metformin; monitor glucose levels. May potentiate drugs metabolized by CYP3A (eg, simvastatin, lovastatin, cyclosporine, tacrolimus, sirolimus), P-gp transporters (eg, digoxin), CYP2D6 (eg, antipsychotics, tricyclic antidepressants); adjust doses of these drugs. May be potentiated by P-gp inhibitors (eg, cyclosporine). Caution with drugs that cause QT prolongation (eg, Class IA, Class III antiarrhythmics, thioridazine, ziprasidone).
Dizziness, headache, constipation, nausea; QT prolongation.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder