Generic Name and Formulations:
Rabies vaccine, inactivated 2.5IU/mL; pwd for IM inj after reconstitution; may contain trace amounts of bovine gelatin, chicken protein, neomycin, chlortetracycline, and amphotericin B.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for RABAVERT:
Preexposure immunization and post-exposure prophylaxis of rabies.
Adults and Children:
Adults: inject into deltoid area. Small children: inject into thigh. Preexposure immunization: 3 inj of 1mL IM each on day 0, 7, and either day 21 or 28. Booster: 1 dose as needed to maintain antibody titer (see literature). Post-exposure prophylaxis: a 5-dose regimen of 1mL IM given on days 0, 3, 7, 14, and 28 (give 1st dose with human rabies immunoglobulin at a separate site). If previously immunized: 2 inj of 1mL each on days 0 and 3 (no immune globulin needed).
Immunocompromised: may get suboptimal response (monitor titers). Postpone preexposure immunization during acute febrile illness or infection. Egg allergy. Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Immunosuppressants: may get suboptimal response.
Local reactions, lymphadenopathy, headache, myalgia, malaise, dizziness, neuroparalytic events, anaphylaxis.
Single-dose vial—1 (w. diluent)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders