Generic Name and Formulations:
Rabies vaccine, inactivated 2.5IU/mL; pwd for IM inj after reconstitution; may contain trace amounts of bovine gelatin, chicken protein, neomycin, chlortetracycline, and amphotericin B.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for RABAVERT:
Preexposure immunization and post-exposure prophylaxis of rabies.
Adults and Children:
Adults: inject into deltoid area. Small children: inject into thigh. Preexposure immunization: 3 inj of 1mL IM each on day 0, 7, and either day 21 or 28. Booster: 1 dose as needed to maintain antibody titer (see literature). Post-exposure prophylaxis: a 5-dose regimen of 1mL IM given on days 0, 3, 7, 14, and 28 (give 1st dose with human rabies immunoglobulin at a separate site). If previously immunized: 2 inj of 1mL each on days 0 and 3 (no immune globulin needed).
Immunocompromised: may get suboptimal response (monitor titers). Postpone preexposure immunization during acute febrile illness or infection. Egg allergy. Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Immunosuppressants: may get suboptimal response.
Local reactions, lymphadenopathy, headache, myalgia, malaise, dizziness, neuroparalytic events, anaphylaxis.
Single-dose vial—1 (w. diluent)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder Associated With ADHD and Female Gender
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Symptom Trajectories Vary According to Language Development in Autism
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children