Generic Name and Formulations:
Beclomethasone dipropionate 40mcg/inh, 80mcg/inh; metered-dose aerosol with a dose counter; CFC-free.
Indications for QVAR:
Maintenance treatment of asthma as prophylactic therapy. Asthma requiring systemic corticosteroid therapy, to reduce need for systemic corticosteroids.
Previously on bronchodilators alone: initially 40–80mcg twice daily; max 320mcg twice daily. Previously on inhaled corticosteroids: initially 40–160mcg twice daily; max 320mcg twice daily. Rinse mouth after use.
<5yrs: not recommended. 5–11yrs: initially 40mcg twice daily; max 80mcg twice daily. Rinse mouth after use.
Not for treatment of acute attacks.
Maintain regular regimen. Infections. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider anti-infective prophylactic therapy. If adrenal insufficiency exists following systemic corticosteroid therapy, replacement with inhaled corticosteroids may exacerbate symptoms of adrenal insufficiency (eg, lassitude). Monitor for growth suppression in children. Monitor for hypercorticism and HPA axis suppression (if occur discontinue gradually). Transferring from systemic corticosteroids: see literature. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Headache, pharyngitis, rhinitis, pain; rare: hypersensitivity reactions, psychiatric events and behavioral changes (esp in children).
Inhalation aerosol (w. dose counter)—8.7g (120 inh)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder