Quinidine sulfate Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Quinidine sulfate 300mg; ext-rel tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Quinidine sulfate:
Atrial and ventricular arrhythmias (see literature).
Take with food and in an upright position. 300–600mg every 8–12 hrs.
Complete AV or bundle branch block or other severe intraventricular conduction defects. Myasthenia gravis. Arrhythmias due to digitalis intoxication. Aberrant impulses, abnormal rhythms due to escape mechanisms.
Atrial flutter; digitalize first. Incomplete AV block. Marginally compensated cardiovascular disease. Heart failure. Hypotension. Renal or hepatic dysfunction. Monitor blood, liver and kidney function in long-term use. Monitor ECG and serum levels if dose is over 2.5g/day. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Toxicity increased by amiodarone, cimetidine, ranitidine, diuretics, carbonic anhydrase inhibitors, sodium bicarbonate, verapamil, diltiazem. Potentiates anticoagulants, anticholinergics, neuromuscular blocking agents, phenothiazines, reserpine, timolol. Increases digitalis serum levels. Plasma levels decreased by barbiturates, hydantoins, rifampin, nifedipine.
Class I antiarrhythmic.
Nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, new or exacerbated arrhythmias, heart block, syncope, cinchonism, headache, blood dyscrasias, hypotension, flushing, impaired hearing and vision, allergic reactions, hepatic dysfunction.
Formerly known under the brand names Cin-quin, Quinidex, Quinora.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Enhanced Vaccination Effectiveness in Older Adults Linked to Positive Mood
- Subjective Cognitive Decline Linked to Alzheimer Biomarker
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa