Quinidine gluconate Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Quinidine gluconate 324mg; ext-rel tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Quinidine gluconate:
Atrial and ventricular arrhythmias (see literature).
Take with fluid and in an upright position. Individualize. Prevention of premature atrial, nodal and ventricular contractions: 324–648mg every 8–12 hrs. Maintenance of sinus rhythm following cardioversion: 648mg every 12 hrs or 486–648mg every 8 hrs.
Complete AV or bundle branch block or other severe intraventricular conduction defects. Myasthenia gravis. Digitalis intoxication. Aberrant impulses, abnormal rhythms due to escape mechanisms.
Atrial flutter; digitalize first. Incomplete AV block. Heart failure. Marginally compensated cardiovascular disease. Hypotension. Renal and hepatic dysfunction. Monitor blood, liver and kidney function in long-term use. Monitor ECG and serum levels if dose is over 2.5g/day. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Quinidine toxicity increased by amiodarone, cimetidine, ranitidine, diuretics, carbonic anhydrase inhibitors, sodium bicarbonate, verapamil, diltiazem. Potentiates anticoagulants, anticholinergics, neuromuscular blocking agents, phenothiazines, reserpine, timolol. Increases digitalis serum levels. Quinidine levels decreased by barbiturates, hydantoins, rifampin, nifedipine.
Class I antiarrhythmic.
Nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, new or exacerbated arrhythmias, heart block, syncope, cinchonism, headache, blood dyscrasias, hypotension, flushing, allergic reactions, impaired hearing and vision, hepatic dysfunction.
Formerly known under the brand names Duraquin, Quinact, Quinaglute.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Maternal Glucocorticoid Exposure Not Associated With ADHD in Offspring
- Ketamine Not Associated With PTSD Development in Military Trauma Setting
- Content, Quality Issues for Both Paper-Based and Electronic Health Records