Quinidine gluconate Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Quinidine gluconate 324mg; ext-rel tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Quinidine gluconate:
Atrial and ventricular arrhythmias (see literature).
Take with fluid and in an upright position. Individualize. Prevention of premature atrial, nodal and ventricular contractions: 324–648mg every 8–12 hrs. Maintenance of sinus rhythm following cardioversion: 648mg every 12 hrs or 486–648mg every 8 hrs.
Complete AV or bundle branch block or other severe intraventricular conduction defects. Myasthenia gravis. Digitalis intoxication. Aberrant impulses, abnormal rhythms due to escape mechanisms.
Atrial flutter; digitalize first. Incomplete AV block. Heart failure. Marginally compensated cardiovascular disease. Hypotension. Renal and hepatic dysfunction. Monitor blood, liver and kidney function in long-term use. Monitor ECG and serum levels if dose is over 2.5g/day. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Class I antiarrhythmic.
Quinidine toxicity increased by amiodarone, cimetidine, ranitidine, diuretics, carbonic anhydrase inhibitors, sodium bicarbonate, verapamil, diltiazem. Potentiates anticoagulants, anticholinergics, neuromuscular blocking agents, phenothiazines, reserpine, timolol. Increases digitalis serum levels. Quinidine levels decreased by barbiturates, hydantoins, rifampin, nifedipine.
Nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, new or exacerbated arrhythmias, heart block, syncope, cinchonism, headache, blood dyscrasias, hypotension, flushing, allergic reactions, impaired hearing and vision, hepatic dysfunction.
Formerly known under the brand names Duraquin, Quinact, Quinaglute.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age