Quinidine gluconate Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Quinidine gluconate 324mg; ext-rel tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Quinidine gluconate:
Atrial and ventricular arrhythmias (see literature).
Take with fluid and in an upright position. Individualize. Prevention of premature atrial, nodal and ventricular contractions: 324–648mg every 8–12 hrs. Maintenance of sinus rhythm following cardioversion: 648mg every 12 hrs or 486–648mg every 8 hrs.
Complete AV or bundle branch block or other severe intraventricular conduction defects. Myasthenia gravis. Digitalis intoxication. Aberrant impulses, abnormal rhythms due to escape mechanisms.
Atrial flutter; digitalize first. Incomplete AV block. Heart failure. Marginally compensated cardiovascular disease. Hypotension. Renal and hepatic dysfunction. Monitor blood, liver and kidney function in long-term use. Monitor ECG and serum levels if dose is over 2.5g/day. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Quinidine toxicity increased by amiodarone, cimetidine, ranitidine, diuretics, carbonic anhydrase inhibitors, sodium bicarbonate, verapamil, diltiazem. Potentiates anticoagulants, anticholinergics, neuromuscular blocking agents, phenothiazines, reserpine, timolol. Increases digitalis serum levels. Quinidine levels decreased by barbiturates, hydantoins, rifampin, nifedipine.
Class I antiarrhythmic.
Nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, new or exacerbated arrhythmias, heart block, syncope, cinchonism, headache, blood dyscrasias, hypotension, flushing, allergic reactions, impaired hearing and vision, hepatic dysfunction.
Formerly known under the brand names Duraquin, Quinact, Quinaglute.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders