Generic Name and Formulations:
Bismuth subcitrate potassium 140mg, metronidazole 125mg, tetracycline HCl 125mg; caps.
Indications for PYLERA:
To eradicate H. pylori, in combination with omeprazole, in patients with H. pylori infection and duodenal ulcer disease (active or history of).
Take with 8 oz water. 3 caps 4 times daily after meals and at bedtime for 10 days (give with omeprazole 20mg twice daily with breakfast and dinner for 10 days).
Renal or hepatic impairment. Pediatric patients. Pregnancy (Cat.D). Nursing mothers.
Blood dyscrasias. CNS disease. Discontinue if abnormal neurological signs or skin erythema occurs. Avoid sun, UV light.
Avoid alcohol during and for at least 1 day after therapy. Recent (within 2 weeks) therapy with disulfiram: not recommended. May antagonize oral contraceptives (use non-hormonal backup method). May interfere with bactericidal anti-infectives (eg, penicillin). Tetracycline absorption reduced by antacids containing aluminum, magnesium, or calcium; and by iron, zinc, sodium bicarbonate, and dietary calcium (clinical significance unknown). Fatal renal toxicity with methoxyflurane. Metronidazole levels increased by cimetidine, others that inhibit hepatic microsomal enzymes. Metronidazole levels decreased by phenytoin, phenobarbital, other drugs that induce hepatic microsomal enzymes. Monitor phenytoin, lithium, anticoagulants. May interfere with GI X-rays, liver function tests, others.
GI effects (diarrhea, dyspepsia, abdominal pain, nausea, gastritis, flatulence), darkening of tongue and/or stool, headache, flu syndrome, taste perversion, asthenia, superinfection (eg, vaginitis), dizziness, rash.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder