Generic Name and Formulations:
Mercaptopurine (6-MP) 50mg; scored tabs.
Indications for PURINETHOL:
Maintenance therapy of acute lymphatic leukemia as part of a combination regimen.
Adults and Children:
1.5–2.5mg/kg per day as a single dose. Concomitant allopurinol: reduce dose of mercaptopurine to 1/3–1/4 of the usual dose. TPMT-deficient, renal or hepatic impairment: reduce dose, see literature.
Prior resistance to mercaptopurine.
Not effective in CNS leukemia, acute myelogenous leukemia, chronic lymphocytic leukemia, the lymphomas (including Hodgkin's disease), or solid tumors. Renal impairment. Monitor liver function tests weekly at start of therapy, then monthly thereafter; discontinue if hepatotoxicity occurs. Pre-existing liver disease (monitor more frequently). Obtain CBCs with differential, hemoglobin, hematocrit, platelets; discontinue if severe bone marrow suppression occurs. Thiopurine-S-methyltransferase (TPMT) deficient: increased risk of myelosuppression, consider genotypic/phenotypic testing. Pregnancy (Cat. D); esp. 1st trimester, nursing mothers: not recommended.
Increased risk of bone marrow suppression with allopurinol, aminosalicylate derivatives (eg, olsalazine, mesalazine, sulphasalazine), trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole. Antagonizes warfarin. Caution with concomitant hepatotoxic agents.
Myelosuppression, hyperuricemia/hyperuricosuria, GI upset, intestinal ulceration, rash, hyperpigmentation, alopecia, oligospermia; hepatotoxicity, infection, immunosuppression.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling