PULMICORT RESPULES Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Budesonide (micronized) 0.25mg/2mL, 0.5mg/2mL, 1mg/2mL; susp for inhalation.
Indications for PULMICORT RESPULES:
Maintenance treatment of asthma and as prophylactic therapy.
Use jet nebulizer; do not mix with other drugs. <6months: not recommended. 6–12months: see literature. 12months–8yrs: Previously on bronchodilators alone: 0.5mg/day once daily or in 2 divided doses (if symptomatic and unresponsive to nonsteroidal therapy, may start at 0.25mg once daily). Previously on inhaled corticosteroids: 0.5mg/day once daily or in 2 divided doses; max 1mg/day. Previously on oral corticosteroids: 1mg/day once daily or in 2 divided doses. Rinse mouth and face (if face mask used) after use.
Not for primary treatment of acute attack.
Maintain regular regimen. Infections. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider antiinfective prophylactic therapy. Adrenal insufficiency may occur when transferring patients from systemic corticosteroids to inhaled corticosteroids: see literature. Monitor for growth suppression in children. Post-op or during stress: monitor adrenal response. Monitor for hypercorticism and HPA axis suppression (if occur discontinue gradually). Transferring from oral corticosteroids: see literature. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole).
Pulmicort Flexhaler: nasal congestion, allergic rhinitis, viral upper respiratory tract infection, oral candidiasis, viral gastroenteritis, nausea, bronchospasm (rare). Pulmicort Respules: Respiratory or other infection, GI upset, moniliasis, fatigue, cough, dysphonia, rash, epistaxis, hypersensitivity reactions (discontinue if occurs).
Respules (YES); Flexhaler (NO)
Flexhaler (90mcg/dose)—1 (60 inh); Flexhaler (180mcg/dose)—1 (120 inh); Respules—30
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age