PULMICORT RESPULES Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Budesonide (micronized) 0.25mg/2mL, 0.5mg/2mL, 1mg/2mL; susp for inhalation.
Indications for PULMICORT RESPULES:
Maintenance treatment of asthma and as prophylactic therapy.
Use jet nebulizer; do not mix with other drugs. <6months: not recommended. 6–12months: see literature. 12months–8yrs: Previously on bronchodilators alone: 0.5mg/day once daily or in 2 divided doses (if symptomatic and unresponsive to nonsteroidal therapy, may start at 0.25mg once daily). Previously on inhaled corticosteroids: 0.5mg/day once daily or in 2 divided doses; max 1mg/day. Previously on oral corticosteroids: 1mg/day once daily or in 2 divided doses. Rinse mouth and face (if face mask used) after use.
Not for primary treatment of acute attack.
Maintain regular regimen. Infections. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider antiinfective prophylactic therapy. Adrenal insufficiency may occur when transferring patients from systemic corticosteroids to inhaled corticosteroids: see literature. Monitor for growth suppression in children. Post-op or during stress: monitor adrenal response. Monitor for hypercorticism and HPA axis suppression (if occur discontinue gradually). Transferring from oral corticosteroids: see literature. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole).
Pulmicort Flexhaler: nasal congestion, allergic rhinitis, viral upper respiratory tract infection, oral candidiasis, viral gastroenteritis, nausea, bronchospasm (rare). Pulmicort Respules: Respiratory or other infection, GI upset, moniliasis, fatigue, cough, dysphonia, rash, epistaxis, hypersensitivity reactions (discontinue if occurs).
Respules (YES); Flexhaler (NO)
Flexhaler (90mcg/dose)—1 (60 inh); Flexhaler (180mcg/dose)—1 (120 inh); Respules—30
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed