PULMICORT FLEXHALER Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Budesonide (micronized) 90mcg/inh, 180mcg/inh; dry pwd for inhalation.
Indications for PULMICORT FLEXHALER:
Maintenance treatment of asthma as prophylactic therapy. Asthma requiring systemic corticosteroid therapy, to reduce need for systemic corticosteroids.
≥18yrs: Initially 360mcg twice daily; may consider starting at 180mcg twice daily, if appropriate. Max 720mcg twice daily. Rinse mouth after use.
<6yrs: not recommended. ≥6yrs: Initially 180mcg twice daily; may consider starting at 360mcg twice daily, if appropriate. Max 360mcg twice daily. Rinse mouth after use.
Not for primary treatment of acute attack.
Maintain regular regimen. Infections. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider antiinfective prophylactic therapy. Adrenal insufficiency may occur when transferring patients from systemic corticosteroids to inhaled corticosteroids: see literature. Monitor for growth suppression in children. Post-op or during stress: monitor adrenal response. Monitor for hypercorticism and HPA axis suppression (if occur discontinue gradually). Transferring from oral corticosteroids: see literature. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole).
Pulmicort Flexhaler: nasal congestion, allergic rhinitis, viral upper respiratory tract infection, oral candidiasis, viral gastroenteritis, nausea, bronchospasm (rare). Pulmicort Respules: Respiratory or other infection, GI upset, moniliasis, fatigue, cough, dysphonia, rash, epistaxis, hypersensitivity reactions (discontinue if occurs).
Respules (YES); Flexhaler (NO)
Flexhaler (90mcg/dose)—1 (60 inh); Flexhaler (180mcg/dose)—1 (120 inh); Respules—30
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Cycle Patterns Associated With Treatment Response in Bipolar Disorders
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder