Studying cognition deficits during the clinical high risk period allows researchers to observe cognitive defects before chronicity and long-term medication use obscure the core deficits.
Approximately 2.5% of people worldwide are estimated to have bipolar spectrum disorders, which are a significant cause of neuropsychiatric disability.
Study provides further evidence for the effects of white matter fiber abnormalities and neuroinflammation on positive symptoms in patients with schizophrenia.
New findings provide an insight about the association between white matter microstructure and the severity of schizophrenia clinical symptoms.
Researchers used voxel-based morphometry, which allows examination on a voxel-wise basis across the whole brain, to assess whether structural abnormalities in schizophrenia are static or progressive.
TSPO expression is frequently used as a biomarker for brain inflammation during PET imaging.
Researchers explored the role of the dysregulated cannabinoid receptor system in patients diagnosed with schizophrenia.
Whereas the expression levels of CDK4 and MCM7 were significantly decreased only in the acute state, POLD4 was significantly decreased in the acute and remission states in the patients diagnosed with schizophrenia.
Commonly used medications have been linked to an increased risk of hospitalization for dehydration and heat-related illness.
A diagnosis of schizophrenia and a length of stay of 90 days or more are the strongest predictors of polypharmacy.
At 12 months, researchers found a significant association between smoking reduction and suicidality.
Genetic risk for psychosis influences reward processing in healthy adolescents.
Exposure to Stressful Triggers Increases Risk for Violent Criminality Irrespective of Psychiatric ConditionJuly 13, 2016
The largest 7-day absolute risk of criminal violence was observed after exposure to violence in patients diagnosed with schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, as well as in unaffected individuals.
The FDA has mandated new warnings to include a list of compulsive behaviors.
University of Washington Tobacco Scholar Joseph Cerimele, MD, MPH, discusses the relationship between smoking and psychiatric illness.
Persistent suicidal ideation was identified in up to 40% of participants with first-episode psychosis.
Reducing exposure to environmental noise may provide cognitive benefit in individuals with schizophrenia.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Cognitive Alterations in a Growing Population of Cancer Survivors
- Addressing Common Nutritional Deficiencies in Autism
- Physical Activity During Midlife Influences Late Life Verbal Memory Performance
- Children With ADHD May Adapt More Poorly To Changes In Positive Reinforcement Patterns
- Functional Role of Adult-Born Neurons in Stress Vulnerability and Resilience
- Migraine Intensity Affects Muscle Pain in Major Depressive Disorder
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Provides Pain Relief Independent of Improvements in Depression
- Short-Term Suicide Risk For Discharged Psychiatric Hospital Patients
- Lack of Sleep Costs US Economy $411 Billion Annually
- The ADA Issues Guidelines for Psychosocial Care in Diabetes