Benefits of NMDA receptor agonists in patients with schizophrenia include improvements with memory and reading.
Studying cognition deficits during the clinical high risk period allows researchers to observe cognitive defects before chronicity and long-term medication use obscure the core deficits.
Approximately 2.5% of people worldwide are estimated to have bipolar spectrum disorders, which are a significant cause of neuropsychiatric disability.
Study provides further evidence for the effects of white matter fiber abnormalities and neuroinflammation on positive symptoms in patients with schizophrenia.
New findings provide an insight about the association between white matter microstructure and the severity of schizophrenia clinical symptoms.
Researchers used voxel-based morphometry, which allows examination on a voxel-wise basis across the whole brain, to assess whether structural abnormalities in schizophrenia are static or progressive.
TSPO expression is frequently used as a biomarker for brain inflammation during PET imaging.
Researchers explored the role of the dysregulated cannabinoid receptor system in patients diagnosed with schizophrenia.
Whereas the expression levels of CDK4 and MCM7 were significantly decreased only in the acute state, POLD4 was significantly decreased in the acute and remission states in the patients diagnosed with schizophrenia.
Commonly used medications have been linked to an increased risk of hospitalization for dehydration and heat-related illness.
A diagnosis of schizophrenia and a length of stay of 90 days or more are the strongest predictors of polypharmacy.
At 12 months, researchers found a significant association between smoking reduction and suicidality.
Genetic risk for psychosis influences reward processing in healthy adolescents.
Exposure to Stressful Triggers Increases Risk for Violent Criminality Irrespective of Psychiatric ConditionJuly 13, 2016
The largest 7-day absolute risk of criminal violence was observed after exposure to violence in patients diagnosed with schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, as well as in unaffected individuals.
The FDA has mandated new warnings to include a list of compulsive behaviors.
University of Washington Tobacco Scholar Joseph Cerimele, MD, MPH, discusses the relationship between smoking and psychiatric illness.
Persistent suicidal ideation was identified in up to 40% of participants with first-episode psychosis.
Reducing exposure to environmental noise may provide cognitive benefit in individuals with schizophrenia.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Low-Dose Dexmedetomidine Reduces Postoperative Delirium in Older Patients
- Lithium Side Effects for Bipolar Disorder Lead to Lower Prescription Rates
- First-Episode Schizophrenia Approaches Aided by Guidelines Instrument
- Predictors of Favorable Outcomes in First-Episode Psychosis Without Medication
- Patient Perception of Provider Engagement Impacts Progress
- Suicide Prevention and Intervention: Cross-Cultural Perspectives
- Antipsychotic Switching in Schizophrenia: Immediate vs Gradual Discontinuation
- Bipolar Disorder Monotherapy Treatment Approved
- Slightly Higher HIV Screening in Patients With Severe Mental Illness
- Treating Pain in Depression May Improve Cognitive, Functional Outcomes