Researchers used MRI to detect variations in neural connections among earthquake survivors.
Reviewers more likely to recommend acceptance when prestigious names and institutions were visible.
It is not yet clear whether changes in the brain that were observed during one season of competitive youth football are lasting or meaningful.
Medical practices can take a number of steps to make it more difficult to hack into their computer files.
Embracing all the myriad variations of the human genome should, in theory, lead to rewards that all can share.
Researchers found only 1 percent of patients prescribed medication still took opioids one year after hospital discharge.
Even when knowing they were taking a placebo, patients still obtained relief from pain.
Acute exposure to ethanol led to antidepressant and anxiolytic behaviors in rodents for up to 24 hours.
Brief mindfulness meditation reduces difference between late positive potential response to negative high arousing, neutral stimuli.
Effective strategies for managing physician burnout include mindfulness and stress-management training, as well as shorter workdays.
Both men and women with HIV were more likely to experience comorbid psychiatric conditions than their peers without an HIV diagnosis.
Greater age-related decreases in volume of the putamen were observed in participants diagnosed with major depressive disorder compared with those of healthy controls.
The longer the duration of ADT, the greater the risk of dementia.
Researchers find heavy users have lower bone density than cigarette smokers.
Effects of fetal exposure are yet to be determined.
It's the deadliest mental illness. What's being done about it?
Dr Twillman, Executive Director for the American Academy of Pain Management, emphasizes the fact that CDC guidelines on opioids are expert- and not evidence-based.
Analysis revealed that the brief OCD screener predicted OCD with an accuracy rate of higher than 90%.
The NIH is awarding more than 100 new grants to over 170 researchers at 60 institutions that will total more than $70 million.
Effectiveness of Psychoeducational Intervention for Individuals Experiencing Fear of Cancer RecurrenceOctober 17, 2016
Researchers conducted a randomized controlled trial to examine the efficacy of a psychoeducational intervention to reduce fear of cancer recurrence.
Treating acute pain before it develops into chronic pain may be the key to preventing chronic pain from arising in the first place.
It has been reported previously that symptoms of depression are associated with nonadherence to diabetes self-care.
Despite intense research efforts and recent advances in understanding the condition, the exact etiology of OCD remains largely undefined.
In America, deaths associated with opioid use increased more than five-fold over the past 25 years.
Researchers conducted an fMRI study of decision-making under conditions of risk and ambiguity in patients diagnosed with schizophrenia.
Approximately 2.5% of people worldwide are estimated to have bipolar spectrum disorders, which are a significant cause of neuropsychiatric disability.
CDC rank alcohol-attributable mortality as the third leading cause of preventable death in the United States.
Exercise time per day is associated with a higher Eating Disorder Examination (EDE) global score in adults with anorexia.
Dr. Scott Zeller suggests it is time to move away from emergency intramuscular haloperidol.
The extent or severity of physical ailments and functional impairment needs to be carefully examined in order to successfully prevent suicide in late life.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- Sleep Apnea Implant Device Receives FDA Approval
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Dysfunction a Sign of Prodromal Parkinson Disease
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Bipolar Depression Benefits From Midday Bright Light Therapy