psychiatry practice management
Dr. Scott Zeller suggests it is time to move away from emergency intramuscular haloperidol.
Thirty percent of medical students said they experienced or received treatment for a mental health condition, and 15% considered suicide.
In an experiment, researchers found that clinicians assumed behaviors that were not present in diagnosing a patient.
Over the next 5 years, 48% of psychiatrists are expected to retire.
One Danish scientist argues that the benefits of psychiatric drugs have been exaggerated and their harms minimized.
Study finds up to 25% of exchange plans may violate Affordable Care Act mandate requiring parity for mental health benefits.
The Bethlem Museum of the Mind, located just outside of London, chronicles how mental illness has been treated over hundreds of years.
Most patients have more trust and confidence in doctors when they are wearing formal attire or white coats.
Patients being treated for mental illness are more likely to use texting than download apps on their cell phones.
Psychiatry professor at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School uses episodes and characters in iconic sitcom to discuss mental illness.
Many medical students hold the same prejudices about mental illness that the general public does, which may be why few pursue psychiatry.
Corrections officers at a maximum-security prison in Oregon receive training in identifying mental illness symptoms and how to respond.
Group of psychiatrists believes the change in nomenclature will eliminate confusion for patients.
Jail diversion programs and improved access to outpatient mental health services would help reduce the number of mentally ill in prison.
Program will fund development of technologies that will provide a better understanding of neural processes in the brain.
Telemedicine, mental health apps and other kinds of technology will play an increasingly important role in the practice of psychiatry.
People who are eligible for Medicaid under expansion of program under the Affordable Care Act have higher incidence of mood and anxiety disorders.
"Our Necessary Shadow: The Nature and Meaning of Psychiatry" by Tom Burns provides an interesting discussion of the practice of psychiatry.
About 1 in 5 of the nearly 90,000 adverse psychiatric drug-related ED visits identified resulted in hospitalizations.
Sylvia Burwell confirmed on Thursday by a large Senate bipartisan vote and is expected to be sworn in on Monday
This was the first time that a national analysis of premiums had been conducted
Practices using the PCMH model improved their quality of care at a rate significantly higher than non-PCMH practices.
DSM-V provides an improvement, albeit moderate, over DSM-IV, particularly in eliminating the distinction between medically explained and unexplained symptoms.
Anxiety Disorders, Obsessive-Compulsive and Related Disorders, Trauma- and Stressor-Related Disorders, and Dissociative Disorders in DSM-5May 31, 2014
The new DSM-5 chapter on obsessive-compulsive and related disorders contains some of the most substantial changes in the manual, including two new disorders: hoarding disorder and excoriation.
Criteria for new disorder in DSM-5, disruptive mood dysregulation disorder could predict adult diagnostic and functional issues.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Link Identified Between Cured Meat and Mania in Bipolar Disorder
- First-Episode Delusional Disorder vs Schizophrenia: Assessment of Outcomes
- Early Risk Factors for Bipolar Disorder Found in Offspring of BD Parents
- Prevalence of Schizophrenia in Individuals With Type 2 Diabetes
- Daily Drinking Associated With Increased Mortality Risk
- The Opioid System: The Foundation for Social Risk and Reward
- Correctional Psychiatry: Challenges and Rewards
- Those Left Behind: Working With Suicide-Bereaved Families
- The Impact of Deafness on Hallucinations and Delusions
- Is Mandatory Reporting of Child Maltreatment in the Best Interests of the Child?
- Nutrition Tips for Physicians: Staying Healthy During Busy Days
- Mental Health Problems in Adolescents With HIV: Overview & Expert Interview
- Should Physicians Play a Role in Minimizing the Societal Cost of Medical Care?
- Digital Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Effective for Individuals With Insomnia
- How Do Medical Scribes Reduce EHR Documentation Burden for Physicians?