Generic Name and Formulations:
Modafinil 100mg, 200mg+; tabs; +scored.
Indications for PROVIGIL:
To improve wakefulness in adults with excessive sleepiness associated with narcolepsy, obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), or shift work disorder (SWD).
Limitations Of use:
In OSA: not for treating underlying obstruction.
≥17yrs: 200mg once daily in the AM; SWD: take dose 1hr before work. Max 400mg/day. Severe hepatic impairment: 100mg once daily in the AM. Elderly, concomitant CYP3A4 substrates or drugs eliminated by CYP2C19: see full labeling.
<17yrs: not established.
History of LV hypertrophy or symptomatic mitral valve prolapse (eg, ischemic ECG changes, chest pain, arrhythmias associated with CNS stimulants): not recommended. Discontinue if rash appears (unless clearly not drug-related), or if angioedema, anaphylaxis, or multi-organ hypersensitivity reaction occurs. Recent MI. Unstable angina. Monitor HR and BP. Cardiovascular disease. Psychosis. Depression. Mania. Severe hepatic impairment. Reevaluate periodically. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May antagonize hormonal contraceptives; use alternative or additional contraceptive method during and for one month after treatment. Avoid alcohol. Caution with MAOIs. Modafinil levels may be decreased by CYP3A4 inducers (eg, carbamazepine, phenobarbital, rifampin) and increased by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, erythromycin). May decrease levels of drugs metabolized by CYP3A4 (eg, cyclosporine, midazolam), CYP1A2 or CYP2B6. May increase levels of drugs metabolized by CYP2C9 (eg, warfarin) or CYP2C19 (eg, phenytoin, diazepam, propranolol), and levels of tricyclics and SSRIs in patients deficient in CYP2D6 (consider dose reduction). Monitor warfarin, phenytoin.
Headache, nausea, nervousness, rhinitis, diarrhea, back pain, anxiety, insomnia, dizziness, dyspepsia; rash (eg, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis).
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder