Generic Name and Formulations:
Sipuleucel-T (autologous CD54+ cells activated with PAP-GM-CSF); minimum 50 million cells/dose; suspension for IV infusion.
Indications for PROVENGE:
Asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic metastatic castrate-resistant (hormone-refractory) prostate cancer.
Autologous use only. Obtain product release from manufacturer, match patient identity on product and Cell Product Disposition form, check expiration date and time on product before infusing. Premedicate 30 minutes before infusion with acetaminophen and antihistamine. Give three doses at 2-week intervals. For each dose: give entire contents of bag by IV infusion over 60 minutes; do not use filter; do not use if clumps do not disperse with gentle mixing. Observe patient for at least 30 minutes after infusion. May interrupt or slow infusion if acute transfusion reaction occurs; do not restart if product at room temp for >3 hours.
Cardiac or pulmonary conditions. Each dose requires a standard leukapheresis procedure about 3 days before infusion. If scheduled infusion is missed, do an additional leukapheresis procedure if treatment course is to be continued. Risk of disease transmission. Pregnancy, lactation: not applicable.
May be antagonized by concomitant chemotherapy or immunosuppressive therapy.
Autologous cellular immunotherapy.
Infusion reactions (eg, chills, fever, respiratory events, GI upset, hypertension, tachycardia), fatigue, back pain, joint ache, headache.
If product sterility tests indicate microbial contamination, manufacturer will contact physician (tests are incomplete at time of infusion).
Patient-specific bag (250mL)—1
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder