Generic Name and Formulations:
Tacrolimus 0.03%, 0.1%; oint.
Astellas Pharma US, Inc.
Indications for PROTOPIC:
Second-line therapy: for short-term and non-continuous chronic treatment of moderate to severe atopic dermatitis in non-immunocompromised patients when other topical therapies are inadvisable or ineffective.
Adults and Children:
<2yrs: not recommended. 2–15yrs: use 0.03% strength. ≥16yrs: use either strength. Apply to affected areas twice daily. Do not occlude or apply to wet skin.
Clear infection at treatment site first if present. Netherton's syndrome, generalized erythroderma, malignant or pre-malignant skin conditions: not recommended. Varicella zoster. Herpes simplex. Eczema herpeticum. Consider discontinuing if lymphadenopathy of unknown etiology or acute infectious mononucleosis develops. Avoid sun, UV light. Reevaluate if no improvement after 6 weeks. Renal impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with CYP3A4 inhibitors in widespread and/or erythrodermic disease.
Local reactions (eg, burning, pruritus, rash, folliculitis, acne, tingling, hyperesthesia, cysts), headache, flu symptoms, sinusitis, alcohol intolerance, back pain, varicella or herpes zoster, dyspepsia, myalgia; rare: malignancy (eg, skin, lymphoma).
Oint—30g, 60g, 100g
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- Sleep Apnea Implant Device Receives FDA Approval
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Dysfunction a Sign of Prodromal Parkinson Disease
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Bipolar Depression Benefits From Midday Bright Light Therapy